Saturday, June 9, 2012

Cycle till it hurts

As most people have been doing lately, I have been spending the last few days stealing a sidewalk.
What? Everyone has not been spending the last few days stealing a sidewalk?
Well, then, that’s probably because they were mixing cement in a 5 gallon bucket to build the staircase on the side of a hill. That’s probably why people have not had the time to steal their sidewalls.
Since I got a head start, I finished my staircase on the hillside, so I have been busy stealing my sidewalk. Now as all you sidewalk stealers know, sidewalks are uniquely designed to not be stolen. They are embedded into the ground, making it almost impossible to actually steal.
I am lucky, the home next to me is set to be demolished and there is a sidewalk that leads to the back door, and I am in the process of stealing it, where it will be installed in my backyard connecting to the new stairs. How about that?
Well, this morning, I was having trouble moving a 200 pound section and I asked my son to help me with the piece. He was nice enough to offer a hand and we were pushing it and lifting, twisting and rolling it and then we both heard this loud snapping sound coming from my lower spine and then I was laying on my back.
He offered to call the ambulance.
I just laid there.
I did not move for quite some time, but I did get to my knees. After some time I was able to get to my feet and I could hobble, but I could not stand up straight, hobbling instead like an elderly Jewish man. We made it to the kitchen were he hovered around me and kept asking if I needed to see an emergency room doctor. I kept refusing, telling him instead that I was familiar with these moments and while the adrenaline was flowing we should try and finish moving the 200 pound cement block. He hemmed and hawed, but we went back outside, me still unable to straighten, but we were going to give it a shot.
We got as far as prepping to lift the block. I could not lift anything, not even so much as grab a serious hold of it, much less lift it.
We were done for the day. No emergency room. I was located onto the couch and my son disappeared. I told him I would be cycling later and he mentioned that I might just be insane.
It’s close to 7 hours since our morning of cement moving attempts. I just finished the most grueling cycling ride I have had in years, the sweat still pouring off my face as I type this.
Not a bad day.

No comments:

Post a Comment