Thursday, September 20, 2012

Blind drunk

I no longer drive a car and the world thanks for me for that. Lately to attend my daughters soccer games I have been riding my fat tired Cannondale to the high school. A few days ago I was riding home from the game and while the cars waited patiently in line at a red light, I rode to the right of them and illegally passed and rode up the hill.

Last night I was again on my way home from a game and approached the same red light and cars were again backed up, but instead of passing on the right, this time I pulled behind the last car and waited my turn. I had my light on in front and a blinking red light on the back. The light turned green and the cars moved forward, as did I. As they cleared the intersection I began to make the right turn and at that instant the driver who had been waiting to make a left proceeded to do so, as if I never existed.

Of course, I had the right of way. I have every legal right to be on that road. I was wearing a bright white shirt and my bike shorts have fibers that glow when lights hit them. My front light is a halogen and it was blinking obnoxiously. You would have to be blind or drunk to miss me as badly as that driver did.

I was two inches from having a blind drunk pull my front tire under his Jeep. Two inches. I made it up onto the sidewalk. He never slowed or acknowledged that I was even there or yelling every obscene word ever known.

Then I rode home and sat in the living room for a while and thought about those two inches. I’ve been listening to the Avett Brothers lately.

“And when the black dress drags upon the ground
I’ll be ready to surrender
And remember we’re all in this together
If I live the life I’m given I won’t be scared to die”

No comments:

Post a Comment