Saturday, December 15, 2012

I pray

This has been a very strange week of Hanukkah for me and my family. For about 15 years or so, the kids and I would gather at Hanukkah and light candles and do some sort of traditional prayer, or more likely, we would create our own prayer, sometimes lighthearted and silly, sometimes serious and sad, depending on the agenda. Always the kids and I would gather as the sun would set, light candles, do a prayer and exchange gifts.

This year, I was alone. The kids are either gone or busy and I have been alone for the lighting of candles and the praying. This year my fiance is on a different coast and happened to be seriously ailing, so my prayers have focused on healing and health. I am never sure how these prayers work, I am never sure if the power of a prayer can find its way to gods ear, and if god will indeed do anything about it.

I was alone again last night, lighting seven candles and trying to think of an appropriate prayer, because all of a sudden, when another national tragedy has overtaken just about every aspect of our lives, I did not want to waste an opportunity to have a moment with praying and not get a word in for the parents who have lost babies in Connecticut.

I lit the candles and I prayed. Prayers are deeply private.

No comments:

Post a Comment