Monday, January 4, 2010

Plains justice

Here is a story that is both strange and disturbing and the fact that this sort of racist idiocy continues today and ironically in the home town of a former president who has come out firmly against racism, well, it's beyond me. Here is the story.

There is never a doubt that this country has a number of racial issues, most of which continue today, but it is this sort of insanity that always makes me wonder what it will take for this country to move forward. I know, my liberal friends will scream education and my conservative friends will scream what racism, but the fact remains, it's here and it's not pretty.

One thing I always preach is for individuals to call out their friends when secret little racist words and jokes are tossed around. I am a white guy, and sometimes, when hanging around white guys, things get said, jokes get told. That is the time to pounce, not to make the joke teller repent or cry, but just to point out that if a joke is funny and told in good fun, tell it when a black guy, or a Chinese guy, or whatever the butt of the joke it, tell it when they are around. If it's funny, they will laugh, if it's racist, expect some other reaction. Either way, I always make the point that just because you may be hanging with like colored friends that does not mean it is time to revert to idiotic and imbecilic behavior.

No comments:

Post a Comment