Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Finding art where you find it

I was just out walking today in downtown Pittsburgh, kind of scoping out the area because I have an assignment next month and I wanted to get an idea of how the city if laid out and good places to hide.

While walking the streets (your pun here) I stumbled across this poster, well this is actually part of a much larger poster, but still, this is a very beautiful part of it.

Shepard Fairey (sorry if I spell his name wrong) is the artist responsible for all those posters found in major cities around the work, with the giant OBEY below the image. He also did the iconic poster of Barack Obama and HOPE for the past election cycle. I like his work. I am not sure how art touches someone, what it means, or even if it supposed to mean something, but there is really something quite fascinating about his work.

As an artist who spent many years putting up posters and images around the world, I admire his ability to find a way to market his work in strange and compelling ways. I know a lot of artists who have a lot more talent than I, but over the course of about 6 years, I sold a heck of a lot of paintings, all because I was constantly finding new ways to market the work. I am not sure if that is part of Fairey's objective here, but if it is, it's pretty smart. If not, it still is pretty smart.

I'll post more of his work in the coming days, as I continue to be motivated to walk the downtown streets of Pittsburgh, prepping for coving the G-20 summit in late September.

No comments:

Post a Comment