Monday, July 12, 2010

How technology can make you cry

In 1991 I was the luckiest man in the world, because right about March 31 a baby boy was born, a boy who was supposed to be named Jupiter, but one of the top two grandmothers in the world lobbied hard, and so he just became Boodle.

He was and is kind of perfect is just about every way. The love the blossomed the sweet spring morning has continued unabated for almost two decades. Just a couple of days ago, full of powerful determination he returned to the Pacific Northwest to continue his life.

When he was still tiny, maybe 7-8 months old, I was in our Seattle house, working on some sheet rock and the phone rang. It was my mother, who had yet to meet her first grandson. My father had been sick and they had not made the flight to Seattle. She called that day to tell me my father had a massive heart attack and died. Just like that. Gone.

He was an interesting man. A powerfully smart and wickedly funny man, he deserved to meet this young boy, he should have met this young boy, but then he was gone. The light at the top of the stairs flickered and burned out.

I am not sure I have ever understood what he missed. I will never know what my son missed by not meeting his grandfather.

Today I saw this commercial below and it made me sad and smile and cry. Imagine how technology today is allowing all sorts of interactions and meetings that were unthinkable just two decades ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment