Friday, December 25, 2009

So this is xmas

I love the holidays, I always have, always will. I do not believe the hype or advertising that goes along with it, but I do love to hear from distant relatives, old friends, have my children handy, great meats, home made treats and singing carols.

Actually we are not a singing family.

We also do not celebrate the consumer version of christmas. I never got it, although as a young child I did get presents and like many other families, it almost always was awkward and sad. It always seemed to me that the gift giving thing was the sure way to let someone know you really don't know them, or you really don't care. Either way, when it happens to you, it hurts.

I stopped that nonsense a long time ago. Presents are reserved for family and people I love. If you are reading this, and you expected something and it did not come, get the message.

On the other hand, I did not get many cards this year and the few I got were from people I like, admire or love, and sometimes all three. What is great is that after a few years of moving and changing jobs and having a life seemingly in flux, we are grounded and healthy and happy. What is even better is that for the first time in many years, we had peace and happiness during the holidays. Last winter, after a business partner ripped me off and left me hanging both professionally and financially, and the holidays were mired in uncertainty and lack of money, this year we have a home, a lesbian dog and some real love.

The holidays have a way of depressing some people, but not us. Even last year, with no gifts and barely a meal on the table and the heat in the house set at 60 because we could not afford the oil to waste, we had a blast. Snow brings out the child in everyone, so we played.

In fact, last year may have been the best of holiday seasons because the effort was more on being a family and sharing moments than it was on wrapping paper and getting meaningless gifts. In my life I have watched the complete commercialization of the holiday season and the lemmings that make up most of this country can not wait to get out and buy plastic crap made in China and give it to people who really could care less.

In that respect, thank the lord sweet jesus for a simple holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment