Thursday, December 9, 2010

The right decision

I was walking through a forest recently, before the snow, but after the leaves had gone south for the winter. As I was making my way up a slight incline, I could look out over rolling hills of brush and marsh land and it made me think of how wonderful this area is.

There have been many moments like this, where all of a sudden, I am overwhelmed by the beauty that is right outside my door. When I lived in Alaska, sometimes I would pull my car over and just look at the fjords and the animals, the natural beauty was often overwhelming.

Seattle had its moments as well. For a while the kids and I lived on an island, and while too much of the island has been built up with mcmansions and fake rustic landscaping, for the most part, it could not help itself by being beautiful and tranquil.

Looking out at a near naked forest and seeing the way everything seemed to be prepping for winter certainly made me think about these moments in life when things are changing, but in slow motion. It's not as if trees lose their leaves in a day, but it is a process, like aging. I wonder what birds think when their little bird babies begin to fly. Do birds even bother with saying goodbye?

No comments:

Post a Comment