Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The dirty secret

I am not sure how to break this to you. While Pittsburgh is certainly sprucing itself up for next weeks G-20 conference, this is a city that is not so interested in the national stage, unless that stage is gold and black and has the Steelers logo imprinted on it.

This is a football town, up and above all else. I can tell you this, if the summiteers want to piss off the people of Pittsburgh, mess with parking during a Steelers game, or delay it for some unknown international reason. You do that, you will have yourself an international uprising on your hands.

A quick note and I am back to editing a long form film I am working on. I had to drive to Prosperity today. I know, think about that for a second. In Pennsylvania you can drive to Prosperity, but first you would have to cross the border of California and possibly stop for a burger in Washington just to get to the wonderful town of Prosperity.

Is there anything more American than prosperity? In truth, isn't that what we all really love about this country? You may start from little and find a way to get more and if you are smart and dedicated, prosperity will be yours.

The town of Prosperity does not really live up to its namesake. But really, when we talk of prosperity, don't we all get to define that in our own way? I have a relative who defines everything in terms of money. If you make a lot of money, you are successful and happy and if you don't, you are a loser and dreadful. I have another friend who is an artist and is broke and hardly every makes any money to speak of, and yet he seems filed with not only prosperity but a deep happiness my relative could not recognize. Different views, different definitions.

No comments:

Post a Comment