Thursday, April 15, 2010

Flash mobs

I have just returned from a week of work in Philadelphia and I will add more about that soon enough, but first I have to wonder about the whole Flash Mob thing.

First, I was having dinner with a friend and her family and at one point the subject of flash mobs came up, probably because I am always worried about my own security when walking around a major city.

Oh, first, I walked from my hotel to their house, which brought me around some kind of sketchy areas, but I did not register anything scarier than my own neighborhood in Pittsburgh. So I was fearless, until dinner. Then the subject of Flash Mobs was brought up and how scary they are and dangerous and scary and weird. Did I mention scary? Because what stuck with me was the scariness of these mobs. Apparently teens text one another and get together with all their teenage energy and create a mob of some sort, generally a lot of scream, yelling and that much feared Teenage Energy thing. Sooner or later someone gets punched, generally an elderly woman if my friends are to be believed.

So, imagine my surprise when just a few seconds ago I ran across video of a flash mob in Seattle. Keep in mind the danger and how lucky we all are that there were numerous cameras to capture the insanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment