Thursday, May 13, 2010

College bound

A friend of mine works at a college. I guess this will speak about the depth of my friendship, all I know is he works at a college, he could be a janitor or a professor, I don't know. Which is remarkable in a couple of ways, first, I am so shallow as to have friends that I have not bothered to know what it is they do at this college, except go there to work.

That, and I always thought of this friend as smart, so maybe he is the head of the janitors. I do know something about janitors and colleges, although this is completely getting away from the point of this story. Recently I was video taping a man who is dying, and for all I know he has died since I video taped him. It's all coming back to me now, I meant to explain my latest predicament in a professional matter. Again with the tangents. It is interesting that I was video taping this man who was ill, and he was talking about his own son, who happened to be in his early 50's, the son, not the dying man.

His son is the head of the janitors at a large local college. His status at the college, or possibly a perk of employment, allowed his two daughters to attend the college tuition free. Which is a pretty cool perk. At my job, our one only perk is that you can feed the monkey during smoke breaks.

My friend - the college worker - called earlier, complaining that there was over grown lawns in front of the fine arts building. I think he said the lawn has going through its "Adam Lambert phase". I asked why it was allowed to grow without the care of a gardener or stylist. The college apparently has some sort of specialized communication system, a professor notices say, grass growing all gay and stuff in front of the fine arts building. Call the department head, who calls a dean, who may or may not get around to notifying someone in building administration. Some time later, some how a buildings and grounds worker will be asked to check it out and he will drive a quiet electric golf cart over to the business and economics building, only to find the grounds in tip top shape and leave it at that.

There should be a point to al this. Something about making simple communication complex, or colleges are good, or something.

I have learned a couple of things. I will actually ask my friend what it is he does at this college. The second thing I learned...

No comments:

Post a Comment