Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Hospital leaving

I probably leave hospitals more than most people, but then again, I am often lucky. Last night I was walking out of a hospital, which by the way is the best way to leave a hospital, and I got to thinking. In many ways hospitals are just these cold and unsympathetic human factories. Experts running here and there, charts, machines, papers and brightly lit rooms. These buildings could easily be turned into something a little more interesting.

The thing about walking out of a hospital is that you notice a lot of humanity. I was on an upper floor and I decided to take the stairs, because just lately I have become paranoid of sick people and lord knows hospitals are filled to the brim with sick people. To be honest it is not the sick people that worry me, it is the sickness inside the sick people that freaks me the fuck out. Again with the faltering American society.

First, if you fly, and I was at the airport last week, you see a lot of people have given up on any sort of flying fashion in return for dressing like hoodlums and freaks. It really was a circus and most of the clowns were obese and disgusting. I have nothing against the obese and disgusting, but when you match that condition with old sweat pants and dirty t-shirts, it is almost too much to comprehend. I noted last week how far our society has fallen because in the very airport where I was surrounded by human mess, there were black and white photos on the wall showing the opening of the airport and how people dressed for flights. Men in suits, beautiful women in classic dresses. Everyone clean, shaved, healthy. I looked around, the large and proud and disgusting and smelly. What has happened?

The people from the airport may have been flying in to go to the hospital, because a lot of them seemed to be walking around the halls as I was leaving. Families of patients, friends of patients and patients out for a stroll. Anyone who knows anything has realized that one of the ways hospitals are trying to control costs is by not letting sick people stay too long, because apparently it is quite expensive to keep people in a hospital. So, in turn, if you are staying in a hospital, you are probably seriously ill, which is why I do not use elevators in hospitals, nor do I touch many things. If I have OCD in hospitals, I am proud. Nothing says viral fungus like something dripping from a doorknob in a hospital.

There was a point to this and now it is lost on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment