Sunday, September 18, 2011

This very old house

Interesting moment. I came home late last night, or early this morning, depending on how you look at these things, either way, I was home, walked into my bedroom and plugged my phone in to recharge and all the power went out in my room. Not in the house mind you, just my room.

Which was strange enough, but I went downstairs to the electric panel to find the circuit breaker that must have broken, because that is how these things work, and none was broken, so I went back upstairs, and the power remained out in my room. It was very early in the morning, but I thought it would be nice to have some electricity in my room, so I went in search of the problem.

Since everything was working before I plugged my phone in, I immediately unplugged my phone. The power did not come back on. I started unplugging everything in my room, and nothing helped. I walked down and checked all the breakers again, no luck there. No power and because it was so late in the night or early in the morning, I went to bed.

When I woke up, there was power in my room. I plugged my phone in and it began to recharge. No problem. I stumbled downstairs and made some coffee. All was well.

An hour or so later, the coffee pot electricity shut off. As did the power in my room, but no where else in this old house. I checked the circuit breakers, none was broken. Again. I turned off all the power to the entire house and checked all the wires to each individual breaker, to make sure the connections were secure. All seemed secure and I was already well past my area of expertise.

I turned the main switch back on and all the power to the house was amazingly back on. Except the fish tank in my daughters room. That was no not working. Then in was. Then it stopped. I took the fat of my hand and slammed it against the circuit breaker box and everything worked perfectly. So far, everything continues to work as it should.

Lesson learned. I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment