Wednesday, June 29, 2011

A long road ahead

In the earlier stages of my mothers dementia she would get lost on thought tangents that could keep her focused and busy for weeks on end. For a while she only wanted to shop for new underwear, and when we would go to the store, she would buy 10 pairs of old women underwear, same style as the week before, no difference, and that was it. On the way back to her home, she would be so proud of herself, because in her mind, she had set up this plan, you know, to get to a store to purchase these underwear, because, in her mind, these were valuable and getting to a store was an adventure.

It was, in a word, adorable. For a while she did the same sort of behavior with pineapple slices. On Tuesday she would begin talking about pineapple slices and how nice it would be to have some. By Thursday she would be needling me to take her to the store, there was something she needed was all she would say. Once there, she would walk, aisle to aisle, looking at the various products, buying some things, discarding others. She would find the fresh cut pineapple slices and buy a container. On the way home she would crack open the plastic container, fish one out with her long painted fingernail and stuff it in her mouth and look at me with the look of a child and smile a giant pineapple smile. It was sublime.

And then she got pissed off at Benson and Hedges.

See, my mom was a lifetime smoker, nothing wrong with that, it's legal and if the advertisements are to be believed, and really who doesn't believe advertising? Anyway, for as long as I knew her, she smoked. She really liked Benson and Hedges and the scary thing started one day when I stopped by her apartment and had lunch and she asked me, really just kind of out of the blue, "who makes Benson and Hedges cigarettes?"

I told her I did not know, which was the truth. I went home later and Googled it and when I stopped by later that night to bring her a chocolate and a glass of wine, I told her that Philip Morris manufactured her cigarette of choice. Why I asked. "I'm going to kill the president of Philip Morris," she said, sipping her wine, setting it on the table, taking out a Benson and Hedges Slim, lighting it and inhaling deeply. I knew then that this was going to be an adventure.

A few days later I stopped in to check on her and she was in the activity room, surrounded by giant maps of the United States. I saw my mother, sprawled on the floor, a giant crayon in her hand, circling the state of Virginia. She looked up at me, a bit surprised, "we're going to Richmond," she proclaimed.

Well, to be honest, my first thought was I had never been to Virginia, it would be a nice place to visit. My mom walked up to me and said we needed to talk. She grabbed my arm like only a mother can do to a son and dragged me a more out of the way table, we sat. "We'll need a gun," she said, seriously. "No doubt," I said. "You have one?" "I do. In fact, I have two." We both smiled. I told her, "I'll have to get the car tuned up, also kennel the dog, this should not be more than a week, right?" My mother nodded, knowingly, like she drove to Virginia on a monthly basis to kill a CEO of a major American company.

Highly unlikely.

For a few days we plotted. She had called the main office to find out if the President of Philip Morris would be in Richmond. There were calls made to hotels, all along the expected travel route. We decided it would be wise to leave on a Monday, less traffic and with any luck, we would be pulling up to the employee parking lot at Philip Morris on Friday morning, walking into the executive lobby, reading a magazine until the President walked in and then shooting him, leaving and driving home. Two weeks max.

I picked her up at six in the morning, Monday. We took to the highway and we were about 300 miles in when I realized I had not really asked my mom why we were on our way across the country to murder the president of Philip Morris. So I asked her. "He lied to me. He lied to me about cigarettes."

That's all she said. Then there was this uncomfortable silence, which I can not replicate here, although if I go off on an uncomfortable tangent and wander off for a few words, you will spend as much time reading this gibberish as I spent wondering what the hell she was trying to say.

"What the hell are you trying to say?"

"Matthew, when I was younger, Philip Morris sold me on smoking because I could be sexy and sophisticated."

"Oh come on, you were never that naive."

"That is not the question. When you are a young person and everyone is doing something, like smoking, and all these big companies keep telling your that is helps you sleep at night and keeps your skin looking younger, you start to feel like you should smoke too."

"That's what advertising is."

"But everything Philip Morris did and said was a lie. For that, I am going to kill the president of the company."

"OK."

We drove on.

Thursday night we stayed at a wonderful hotel in downtown Richmond. The Jefferson is an old hotel, but up to date, grand and stylized and old southern in every possible way. The massive lobby was bristling with well dressed men and women, drinks in their hands, gabbing about something important. As I looked around, I could see the old south in the complexion and demeanor, you did not need to hear the accent. What I also noticed was that look of some of the men, almost leaning to the right a little bit. I would have guessed mom and I were not the only ones carrying weapons that night.

We ate well, we slept well and at seven in the morning we were parking in the guest parking space outside of the corporate office. We sat silently in the car. We had spent a few minutes at some point during the drive vaguely talking about the actual plan. Mom said that the president arrived at the office every morning at 8, we could take him in the parking lot, or walk in, read a magazine and shoot him in the reception area. Either plan worked for me. So far, at 7:15, we were in the car, so we were going with the parking lot option, so far.

At 8:15 Mom grabbed the pistol laying on the cushion between us and opened her door, "I'm going in."

I did the same, closed my door, but left the keys in the ignition and my door unlocked, because after shooting the president of Philip Morris, I thought mom and I might need to make a quick getaway.

We walked into reception at 8:20 and immediately an older woman behind a massive wooden desk asked if she could help us, my mother, without missing a beat, said we were there to see "Cooper, in accounting."

I was shocked. First, brilliant move on Moms part. I mean, in a large corporation, chances are there is a Cooper somewhere. Then, so quick to have any answer at all from the receptionist . If I had bothered to speak up I would have yammered, "umm, we are here to kill the president."

The older woman behind the desk picked up a phone and spoke silently into it. In a moment she set it down, looked at my mother and said, "there is no Cooper in accounting."

With that my mothers eyes looked around. It was a large reception area, trees against a far wall, plaques and awards on the farthest wall away from us, a window wall that showed acres of well tended grass. Mom sized it all up. Letting the news of Cooper sink in. Without a word, she turned and walked out. I looked at the woman behind the desk, mouthed the words "I'm with her" and followed closely behind my mother.

Somewhere around Texas I asked my mother, if we had seen the president of Philip Morris in the parking lot, would she have shot him? "Yes, of course. Would you?" "Solely based on the harm he has done to you, yes."

My moms decent into Alzheimers continued for a couple more years. She would not make any more trips out of the area again. She would not threaten to bring vengeance down upon the evil. She slowly deserted us.

I think about that strange trip every now and then. I wonder how the president of Philip Morris got so lucky. I also wonder if these people in our world who lie and cheat and steal and plunder, if they ever wonder if someone that they have wronged will someday just show up and make things right.

33 comments:

  1. Love love love this. Love that your mother wanted to kill the CEO of Philip Morris. That is just great. And that you drove here across the country to do so, what a good son. "Cooper in accounting". Yeah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. FUCK NOW WAY. HOW DID THAT DOUCHE BAG SLIP IN BEFORE ME?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, really? Your "first" comment was so important that because it was not actually first, I am the douchebag? Get a life loser.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First, great story. Second, all caps always equals retard. Third, girls, get a room and stop your squabbling, this is the public, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL, above. Although, right about the ALL CAPS rule.

    Great story. Is it illegal to drive cross country with the intent to kill a titan of business?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Posted at 12:41 AM. Nice life you have going there. Is it the guilt or shame that is keeping you awake?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm, posted at 9:15AM, getting to work, a job you hate, after leaving the family you despise, only to spend a day behind a desk, reading blogs that fill you with jealousy and hate, so at the end of the day you can drag your bloated body home to the life you are disgusted by, to slowly die in suburbia. Enjoy the train ride home tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey 9:15 poster, does it matter when this blogger posts these? You really think that the only reason someone is awake after midnight is either guilt or same related? You realize how fucked up that makes YOU sound? Yeah, take your psyche 101 failing grade and go back to whatever it is that makes you so bitter.

    Great story by the way. You can post anytime, I bookmarked this page because you are fucking brilliant and if you ever let an asshole comment like 9:15 get to you, I swear I will lose it, drive cross country with a gun on the seat next to me and then find myself unable to shoot 9:15 right at the last minute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes the comments are just as entertaining as the story. I was prepared to compliment you up and down about this story, but these numbskulls above made me laugh out loud.
    Good writing Matt.
    The rest of you? Leave it to the professionals.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This has movie written all over it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Agree with above, that is the comment right above, about the movie, not the bitch best a few comments above. Talk about a coffee overload.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Is there a way to set up a poll to see how many people hate this pompus fuck?

    ReplyDelete
  13. OK, I have the idea to make you millions, I'd like a 15% finders fee. Ready?

    You, your mom and Houdini, a couple of pistolas and a convertible, driving around the southwest, wreaking havok and killing the president of BP, WalMart and Coke. Or at least planning to, but always backing out at the last minute because of some dumb thing your mother forgot to do.

    There. I will email you my address so you can send me my check. Ca-ching.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Previous. I have an idea too. Set up a poll in your ass you stupid fuck. If you don't like this "pompus" fuck, why did you direct your browser to come here, read the story, page down to comments and write something? Jesus, shut up, get a job, stop crying and oh yeah, shut the fuck up. Poll? What the fuck is wrong with dumb people?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Previous: Definition of POMPOUS. 1: excessively elevated or ornate.

    Ironic, yes?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Todays lesson, do not piss off your mother.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Can you do a poll for people who like polls?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Best lunch e v e r.

    ReplyDelete
  19. OK, I love the story, but to be honest, the pissing contest of the comments is pretty fucking funny. Girls, keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Could you have your mom stop by the Microsoft campus for me?

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just read this on my Ipad (product placement credit) and I loved this story. I am still disturbed about the "saints come marching in" story and I hope for your continued best health, but this story was so wonderful. You are a gift and this blog is a wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have t say this, for the the boobs and idiots who patrol the vast reaches of the internet, your blog attracts some erudite commentators, and some fucking bizarre idiots, but for the most part, it seems like a party of people I would not mind hanging out with.
    Loved the Mom story.
    And the above poster was right, a movie, you and Houdini and your Mom, plotting and driving and planning to kill all the POMPOUS corporate assholes? Hysterical. The funniest would be how every time you are about to knock off some fat cat corporate dick head, your mom fuck it up.
    Take a few weeks off this blog and write the damn script.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Will you marry me?

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am loving the comment section. Maybe lose all the posts and just let morons comment. Would that work? Doubtful.
    Beautiful and funny story. I am betting, all true, right?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Do they still sell Benson and Hedges? When did this happen?

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love the image of your mom with a pineapple slice in her mouth. What a whacky woman she must be. Is she still with us? Did this drive cross country actually happen? Very funny and inventive.

    ReplyDelete
  27. The comments? Fucking funny. Someone wrote how they wanted to party with the ass burgers, I'll pass, but shit, some of the peoples are just nutballs.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I will agree with 80 percent of the comments, great writing and great story. Now, the 20 percent of the other comments? What the hell?

    I mean it, what the hell? Is this what 9 percent unemployment looks like?

    ReplyDelete
  29. Tomorrow, I am calling our receptionist and saying "I need Cooper in accounting" just to see what will happen. Thank you for that.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Since the last presidential election, this is the first time I am in the majority, I love this story. Your mom plotting the murder of a company president? Priceless. Keep at it, great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I am in our offices today, the vast majority of the other workers are taking today off, because they are making it a 4 day holiday. So, when the phone just rang, I answered, "Cooper, accounting."

    You're welcome.

    Happy 4th.

    ReplyDelete