Saturday, March 20, 2010

Why does Best Buy hate me


Earlier this week I brought a badly performing external hard drive to Best Buy and met with a "geek Squad" member who looked it over, plugged it in, was confident in appraising the problem and made sure I understood that he would be able to remove the important date from my drive and transfer it to the new drive.

Perfect.

So I got a phone message from a robot today that said my drive was ready to be picked up. I went to pick it up, as ordered by my computer robotic over lord.

Imagine my surprise when another geek squad member handed me a baggy with the remains of my hard drive, all torn up and ruined and told me they could not get the files from the drive. I was a little shocked. Just a little. Mostly because the other geek was so damn confident that the drive could be repaired, or the files removed. This guy was a bit more smug, and tried to weave his way out of any responsibility.

Ahh, the old bait and switch. I was not just promised something, I was easily assured that there would be no issue. Not a problem, since the drive was working, it must have something to do with the connection. It is these little sorts of lies that drive people absolutely crazy. Not that I am crazy, I am just upset. The nice thing about losing a bunch of important data is you realize how easily it is to lose data and not care about it.

I mean, I care about the films that have disappeared, I do. But in the end, you have to be understanding about loss. There are always greater forces at work and this is one of those times.

No comments:

Post a Comment