Sunday, August 8, 2010

Bad concerts and beautiful weddings

First, I am winding down the posts here, for a variety of reasons, first I like being a guest blogger for a few other blogs, second, I am starting with a new company and third, I am writing the sweetest novel and I just do not have time.

But long before I sign off, I was at a wedding yesterday and it was beautiful on a variety of levels. I like weddings, I am big on the ceremony of it all and the concept of committing to someone in a public setting, for your friends and family to witness and promising to be honest and true to another. Those things are powerful and wonderful and amazing if you can find them.

The wedding was people I don't know, so I can honestly be an impartial observer. A couple of strange things, the priest went out of his way to point out that marriage is between a husband and wife, so the whole gay marriage thing seems crystal clear to this particular member of the clergy. He did seem like a very nice guy though, so I did not disparage him or question his faith. I just wondered, as I often do, why he could care.

I love when people are happy to be in love. I also like how parents and older family members are honored at weddings and this one was especially good at including parents in both the ceremony, but especially in the reception and dancing. I teared up when the groom danced with his elderly mother. Whenever I see such public displays of love for ones mother I am always reminded of my mother, may she rest in peace. As I was watching him dancing with his mother, holding her up and dancing slowly, I was thinking of my own reception, still planned for next summer, and I kept thinking, who could I get to replace my mother.

You need these moments. You need a parent or loved one, who is there for you, who understands you and is proud of your commitment and ability to love. Love is not easy. At first it is, you are flooded with love in those first few months and it is very easy, Talking and loving and being together is very easy, and then you start to get to know one another, and sometimes you disagree and then it becomes a little less easy and a little more work.

Another moment that I really liked was the cutting of the cake, not sure why, but I do like cake.

Finally, dancing. We as a society do not spend enough time shaking our respective booties, but this wedding, there was dancing and sweating and then every one got down and seriously danced into the night. It was glorious. People really should dance more. Although, watching people dance I became increasingly aware how strange my own dancing has always been. When I was younger we would go to clubs in the city and just sweat like animals, dancing for hours, sharing beers and hitting on hotties.

My love and I went to a concert tonight in Pittsburgh. I like Rufus Wainright, I do. His concert in Pittsburgh? Awful beyond belief. If you ever told me I would walk out of a Rufus concert I would slap you silly, but in the midst of a particularly terrible moment, I made teh gesture that I had to leave, I stood and walked out. It was terrible.

Now, I am in bed with momma kitty and super sexy dog Beth. I need to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment