Friday, July 15, 2011

The diagnosis

Even my doctors office feels dreadful. It has no natural light, and the modern energy efficient bulbs it is lit with leave a mechanical glare on the walls that make you feel as though you have entered a new world, and not a pleasant one.

Old magazines, some specialized reading material for people who have suffered in many of the ways I have. I sit down on a small couch and stare off into the paneling.

There is a wall of accomplishment next to me, diplomas, certifications, annual reports, I believe a Hooters girl signed personal photo and a photo of my doctor and former president George Bush, both smiling. Nice. One of the diplomas was from Ardvark university, at least that’s what it appeared to say, it had that strange font they use on diplomas, either Adrvark or Harvard, I made a note in my phone to check on Ardvark University.

I make notes on my phone, messages to myself, reminding my future self of something I know must be done, but something so unimportant that my future self would never be bothered to remember to do it. So I make the notes and a beep goes off and my future self will read the note, check Ardvark University, and it will be done.

The door opened, a large older woman, who once was possibly a man, called my name, I followed, a small dark room. I sat on an overstuffed chair, she left. Dr. Meesvian came in. He is neither a small man, nor a large man. He is just a man, about my height, a little heavier, badly dressed, like he went to Nordstrom and just bought a bunch of the same thing so every day he appears to be wearing what he was wearing yesterday, except it is fresh and clean. I forget who recommended Dr. Meesvian, or who sent me here, it’s been a while. I do think we are making progress.

“I have some news,” he said, hruskly, which is not his style, “there is a diagnosis, I think you are skitzofrentic.”

“I’m pretty sure that’s not even how it’s spelled.”

“Either way, that’s the diagnosis. Take a minute and think about it, I have to make a personal call, I’m going to the parking lot and smoke a cigarette and make a personal call. You stay and think about the diagnosis. I’ll be back, but I need to make this call. And smoke a cigarette. I really smoke very few cigarettes, but this is one of those calls, a personal call mind you, but one that almost requires a smoke. Hell, what’d you say, you never smoked a cigarette, right? Right. I’d bet, you make this personal call for me, you’d be smoking 45 seconds in. Anyway, you think about that diagnosis, I have a call to make.”

He was gone, the door closed. The diagnosis floored me, but it did seem to make sense. There, alone in his empty office, I relaxed backinto the overstuffed chair and I called a meeting of all my personalities. I closed my eyes and the cabinet room began to fill up.

First to speak up was Billy Joe, the angry transgendered lesbian.

BJ: “First off, this is bullshit. I think we can all agree on that. Second. I think it’s also bullshit that we even go to therapy. It’s been about 2 years and I sit here listening, quiet, never a fucking word. It’s bullshit. Finally, it’s also bullshit that if he was to write dialog about me, he would use BJ as my name. Bullshit.”

David, a confirmed bachelor, cleared his throat and began with a mumble, “If I may, I said, if I may. Excuse me Billy Joe, but seriously. I think we all need to step back.”

BJ: “You know what Nancy, might be time for you to shut the fuck up.”

Father Johnny Redneck: “Billy Joe, enough now, girl, you calm yourself. This is some serious stuff. This sort of diagnosis, it can change a man.”

David: “They could drug him.”

BJ: “Fine by me, I could use a good high.”

There was a silence in the room, finally, in a bright red dress and outlandish makeup, Octopus Nanny spoke up.

ON: “ You axe me, this shit been all fucked up for long time anyways.”

David: “Speak it sister.”

ON: “Shut your mouth girl. I say we abandon shit fore we get all clogged up with morphine and shit.”

Father Johnny Redneck: “Ship.”

ON: “What you say?”

Father Johnny Redneck: “You said we should done abandon the shit. Honey, you don’t go abandoning no shit, you abandon the damn ship. S H I P.”

ON: “Well, you abandon your own shit sucker. I am leaving. This place is done for. You freaks and (looking at BJ) confused little kitty cats, you stick around and see what happens.”

With that, there was a second of silence, and she was gone. She did not really disappear, and there was no smoke or anything, she was just gone.

Then Barney the Dinosaur said, “Why, I think we should beat it too?”

BJ: “Take off fatso, no big loss.”

David: “’Cept at the dinner table.”

Barney the Dinosaur: “Now, be nice everyone. Everyone should be nice. Nice is how everyone should be.”

David: “Dude, even for a dinosaur, you’re a tard.”

Barney the Dinosaur: “Now, there you go again. Nice is the word of the day everyone. That much I know. That and I am out of here, the game is up, the diagnosis is probably as close to what I would consider…”

At this point Turnpike Lou, who sat in the corner, his back turned to everyone, continuing to wear the dunce cap for the 1417th day in a row, cleared his throat.

BJ: “Hold on. I have an idea. Lets light the dinosaur on fire and roll him through the brain, catch the fat guys attention, then we can make some demands.”

David: “Really, the “light the dinosaur on fire” again routine? Again?”

Barney the Dinosaur: “Been there, done that. Last time, he took those meds that had us all out for days.”

BJ: “Good times.”

David: “I’ll light him, open the portal.”

With that, David lit Barney on fire, BJ opened the portal and he was more or less flushed into the brain of the fat guy.

Wait a minute, I am the fat guy. How did that happen? Does that mean the assorted asshole voices in my head actually refer to me as the fat guy? How can that even be possible? Shouldn’t the voices in my head have a much more positive self image?

The office door opened and the doctor walked in. “Well, that was one fucked up phone call. Sorry, it’s personal and it would cross a lot of ethical lines to even begin to allude to any aspect of it, suffice to say, (dramatic pause) ex-wife. Anyway, the diagnosis for you stands. Let’s meet again, next week, same time.”

He stood, opened the office door, I stood, walked out and left the nondescript office building.

A couple of days later I googled Ardvark University in Omaha. It’s a college for Clowns, Dog Whisperers and Muffler Repair. I believe this will impact the diagnosis.

27 comments:

  1. Best shit in weeks. Great writing. You should be in LA for carmadgeddon or whatever. Am I first? Oh my, will I be called an asshole for proclaiming this vaulted position?

    ReplyDelete
  2. laughing my ass off, but yeah, first poster, you kind of appear to be a dick. vast majority could care less about a traffic jam in botox land. suck it loser.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boffo? Really? What happened to you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant. The link is great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. God damn drink on a Friday much

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank god for Twitter. Great story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Dr Mesvens page, and his quote is priceless. Great story. When I saw the title, I expected a much different story. Thank you for messing with me head.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Octopus Nanny? And the way she speaks, can I meet her? Brilliant voices that inhabit you head. Loving this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wait, if I read this right Barney the dinosour is living in your head? That true? That answers a hell of a lot of questions.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Best in a long time. Welcome back, be nice if you could get back to regular postings, but I am not going to pester.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OK, you lure be back with something like this which was hilarious, even when I am not high, but now my question is, one shot wonder, or will there be more? Is that asking too much?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey, dr Meesveen cured me, I all well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I feel sorry for Turnpike Lou, so many days with the dunce cap.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I knew you had voice in your head, I just knew it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Previous, probably.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Here is what I am wondering, how are you making money from this site? Not to say I don't love the writing, I do, and I would pay for it, even an e-book of collected shorts, but as it stands, are you able to make any cash from the "donate" link?
    I'd like to see you continue.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love this. Funny. Nice to see you are kind of back. When I did see The Diagnosis, I thought the worst.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The way I see it, the comments on here are crazier than anyone Dr. Meeasvien is treating. Just sayin.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Clown college, Dog whispering and Muffler Repair. I will check my diploma, but I'm pretty sure I too am a happy graduate of Aardvark University.

    ReplyDelete
  20. BTW, am I the only one who clicked on the link to the good doctors lawyer? It just gets better and better. I was laughing so much my 3 year old was staring at me like I might be crazy. Really funny stuff and the links are inventive.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The voices in your head seem rather mean to one another.

    ReplyDelete
  22. There is so much there, Father Johnny Redneck? Oh my. Any way the voices in your head will be returning? You keep introducing great characters and then they just disappear.

    ReplyDelete
  23. When I read DIAGNOSIS all I could do was hope it was cancer and you were already dead. That may just be me.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Above, seriously? How can you even write something so profane? It is "just you" trust me on this one. In two short sentences you prove yourself to be an idiot and an asshole, congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  25. First, funny fucking story. Second, wishing cancer on anyone is pretty fucked up, might want to buy yourself a mirror there Mr. Annon Poster Person. Spewing hate has got to bad for the soul.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Girl, so much anger. Get new sex toys and take a personal day.

    ReplyDelete