Sunday, May 27, 2012

Tough guy

At about 4 this morning I woke with what I now know is the warning sign that I am passing a kidney stone and that warning sign is that feeling that I am about to give birth to a large baby from the middle of my spine.
The last time this happened I first thought that I had been sleeping with some sort of rock against my lower back. This time, I knew immediately that I would need to get to the hospital. Since I no longer drive, and since my driving child has taken the only car to a far off beach for the weekend, my only option was to cycle to the hospital at 4 AM.
I made it over the bridge before the tears and the pain was just too much. I stopped, waited for everything to subside and slowly made my way home. Once I made it back to my bed, I started chewing on Oxycodone tablets that I picked up months ago after some sort of surgery or something.
The pain pills and a few gallons of water have somehow flushed the stone somewhere, or I am so high on Oxy that I no longer care.
There is a lesson to be learned here. Two actually. First, on hot summer days remember to hydrate, that is key. Second, always and this is key, always keep pain medication on hand, because if you need to cycle to a far off hospital and find out you are too much of a girly man to make it, chewing down a few tablets will certainly change your attitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment