Thursday, June 10, 2010

Elections matter

I am far from political, mostly because I just do not understand the process. Rarely if ever do I toss my support out for a candidate to love it, use it and return it before the sun comes out, but I am about to change all that.

I grew up in California. I remember a little known bad actor getting elected governor, before he went on to run for higher office. I remember the son of a former governor getting elected, before going on to become mayor of Oakland (more on that in a separate paragraph) and of course, I actually lived through the removal of one governor so another bad actor could take office, garble his speeches and turn a once prosperous state into a bankrupt mess.

Ahh, California, my home state, and now, a complete clusterfuck. Who would want to even watch the election process of this once great state, much less endorse one or more of its insane candidates? Me, that's who.

Please readers of this blog, friends of mine, followers of my facebook ramblings and viewers of my short but sexy films, follow my lead and re-elect Jerry Brown governor of California. I do not throw my support to Brown just because his is the only name I know how to spell, nor is it because the woman running against him started Ebay, or something. Although, in recent news coverage, the woman whose name I can not spell, looked like one of the oompa loompas from Willy Wonka, which actually makes her more electable in my book. If I ever run for political office, it will be on the Oompa Loompa platform.

I ask you to consider Jerry Brown because he personally saved me from a lifetime of self hatred and depression. He personally did the most heroic act a civilian could do, and he did it without reward, fanfare of a single news story.

Jerry Brown saved my sons life.

That is true and wonderful and it is time the world knew.

The year was a while ago, I do not remember years, much less years in which a balding former governor saved my sons life, suffice to say, I was still married at the time, so it was pre-2000. We, my loving family, and I had landed at the Oakland Airport, on a trip to the Bay Area for something important. My young son, who was probably 5-6 at the time, was gregarious and loved people, he loved to walk up to strangers and say hello. It was all very sweet, until that terrifying night in Oakland, where he almost died, were it not for the quick actions of one former governor and soon to be governor again, Jerry Brown.

My son and I walked out of the main terminal, and while I turned behind to try and locate what was, at the time, the rest of my growing family, my son took it upon himself to begin to cross the street, in the midst of traffic of all sorts, from angry cabs driven by out of control, drugged up, illegal aliens, to the dangerous elderly, driving in circles because the malls had closed early that day. His life, hanging by a thread, a young boy, walking into the traffic that could easily kill him and leave him dead in the busy streets. That did not happen, not because of anything I did, but because of everything Jerry Brown did. Governor/Mayor Brown was standing on the sidewalk, no doubt welcoming people to his city, and noticed my young son, walking into traffic. Like a caring lion, he pounced into action, grabbing my sons arm and returning him to my side, unscathed and healthy.

When I saw what had happened, I tried to thank the Governor/Mayor for his lively gesture, but he just smiled, said not too worry, and quickly disappeared into the warm night, like a figment of my imagination, except this one saved my sons life, and saved me years of therapy and the emotional cost of having a child run over by the angry and insane drivers of the greater Oakland metro area.

I am almost always thankful for the good governor/mayors actions of that day. There was nothing in it for him, no press, no parades, not even a special handshake or deeply felt thanks from me.

Except now. I have literally millions of readers from California, who watch this blog for incisive commentary and stolen YouTube videos on almost a weekly basis. To those people, or at least the ones registered to vote in California, I ask you to give Jerry Brown your vote because, and I mean this, the next child he saves could be your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment