Sunday, September 19, 2010

Moments like these

Usually we do not realize we are at a great point in our lives until perspective sets in. Today, in fact this week, has been a series of wonderful moments and most of the time I have been aware of how great they are.

The vast majority of great people I know have snuck into moments all this week and that in itself is a blessing.

Seattle has long held a duality for me, there are people I kind of don't like here and people I passionately love. I got to see all the people I love and none of the people who are kind of skeevy. We also found the best sandwich shop in the world. I know, hard to believe that the very best sandwich shop in all the world is in the Ballard neighborhood of Seattle, but there it is.

It has been raining all week here, although it is that Seattle rain, which means that at different points in the day it rains heavily, then the sun comes out and then it rains again. If you plot your day correctly, you will spend the rain time indoors and the sunny time outdoors and life will be grand.

We spent all our sunny time outdoors and it seemed as though when ever it rained, we magically were indoors.

This has also been a week of revisiting history. I spent a day on the island of dread and walked away feeling like maybe it is not dread as much as mystery. When we moved a few years ago in an early morning get away, I felt it was about time to escape. First, to be honest, I never felt at home on that island. It was not my first choice of places to live, but at the time, using misguided logic, it became the choice. In retrospect that move was really ok, because I did meet and befriend some wonderful people, people whom to this day I trust and love. It's kind of funny, in the midst of a skeezo time in life, you can still find joy and wonder.

Confronting my ill feelings about island visitation was something I did not feel would go well, but as a friend and I navigated the island, I kept thinking that my own interior fears were completely misplaced. We did things that kept empowering the adventure, from visiting scenes of bike crashes and the bike shop of wonder, to a quick drive near the dungeon of hypocrisy. I kept thinking to myself that at some point, the floor would open up and I would be face to face with the hysterical monsters that always seemed so close at hand, but even the monsters seemed either at bay, or possibly they themselves had moved on.

The city has also offered comfort and a refreshing vision of Seattle as a place of beauty and hippy dippy coolness. I thought I might run into a couple of bad apples, but it was not the season.

So, as we prepare for a wedding and then a fairly early morning flight I am happy. My baby remains something of a mystery, which is good, the city remains something that I am now comfortable returning to and my friends remain, lucky for me, friendly.

If life could get any better, I would welcome the opportunity, but in the mean time, it's pretty damn good.

No comments:

Post a Comment