Saturday, November 13, 2010

Bad parenting

I don't think it is a lie to say I am a terrible parent. For a variety of reasons too, not the least of which is that I can not remember if I indeed have children, and if I do have children where they are and who they are.

That said, when I had young babies living with me, I often had thoughts of the day they would move out and make a life of their own.

I still wait for those days to come, but today I am proud of my eldest daughter who was accepted to a decent college.

For a long time, when they were young, all I wanted to do was make sure they did not get molested. I would not let them out of my sight when we were in public and I lived in fear that they would have some terrible thing happen to them when they were visiting friends, hanging with grandparents or being exposed to some sort of nefarious monster while staying at some other relatives home.

Those things did not happen.

They ate healthy, played outside as much as any other child, played sports, read books, enjoyed cultural visits to great cities with amazing museums, libraries and historical artifacts. We took wonderfully fun summer vacations, they were out of control sometimes, appropriately, and often times they were just great to be around.

Now they are all prepping to leave the nest. My eldest already has, the middle child is in the process and the youngest, just today, reminded me that she has had the highest grades of any of the siblings.

Like planes lines up for landing, it all seems to be coming together.

Yet, I am the one not really ready for this next step.

No comments:

Post a Comment