Thursday, November 11, 2010

Did not see this

Dave Niehaus, Voice of Mariners, Dead at 75.

When I first moved to Seattle the Mariners sucked and you could get free tickets to the games just by walking near the old Kingdome and finding a Boeing rep. Boeing had purchased hundreds of season tickets and the employees refused the tickets, so some union doofus would stand outside the stadium and give them away. I had a studio across the street from the Kingdome and friends and I would grab some tickets and go to the games to cheer on a rookie Ken Griffey and some kid named Alex Rodriguez.

When I was in my studio painting I would listen to the games and Dave Neihaus was the announcer. There was nothing better than a Griffey homerun with Neihous excited, out of breath and full of wonder.

A great baseball announcer, and I grew up on Vin Sculley of the Dodgers, can bring the game to you while you continue on with the rest of your life. I built a deck on my house listening to the Mariners in the playoffs. My baby boy and I would drive around, listening to the game and trying to get him to nap. Years later my young son and I attended a game, only to leave when Griffey hit a homerun and fireworks exploded in the dome, scaring my baby to pieces.

Neihous was a great announcer, with a deep husky voice and a long and glorious history with the team from its inception through years of losing seasons and some very fine winning seasons. I never met him, my son did, but I liked his voice, his recollections and his understanding of the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment