Thursday, November 25, 2010

Philadelphia symposium

I spent a week in Philadelphia and all I got to show for it was a t-shirt and the sense that smokers might be the strongest addicts in the world.

First this, I was 20 stories above the city for much of my stay and I could never get away from the window, looking down on American history and some beautiful buildings that house libraries and great art.

I once had this same sense of history while peddling around Paris. My first sense was how lucky I was. As far as I knew, I was the first person in my family to stroll the streets of Paris and that simple fact was kind of powerful. There is something in our souls that screams out when we do something our ancestors may have done, but not our immediate relatives. Sure, somewhere along our family tree I am sure some genetic ancestor was walking around Paris, eating fresh bread and looking at beauty. The fact is, none of my more recent relatives had taken the time to do it and for me, it was a moment.

I am a fan or beauty, in architecture, sculpture and painting. Not sure why, but I am drawn to it, so to speak. In Philadelphia it is impossible to walk around without feeling the power of American history. A lot happened on those streets, from a constitution to a revolution and in many ways, you feel it and see it. Betsy Ross's house is still there, and the frame work of Ben Franklins place remains, and you can see where he spent his time. The old streets do not speak, but if you have an imagination, they whisper.

I am going back to Philadelphia this week, to make some money and do some work. It's not a bad thing, this American way of life, but when you look around at our decaying bridges and roads, the sense that we made a turn a few years back and are heading downward seems everywhere.

A few years ago my children and I spent Thanksgiving at a friends house and before the meal my friend gathered everyone together and we stood in a circle and everyone had an opportunity to express why they were thankful. Today, I have 2/3 of my babies here, a lover and soon a friend, and we will not be circling, but it is always a good time to look back and forward and be thankful. I am a firm believer that we are all lucky to be alive at this juncture of history. We can fly great distances and see the world. We can drive fast and arrive in great hotels and we can stay warm on the coldest of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment