Thursday, November 11, 2010

The obese monster

Well, there is always something to pay attention to and this morning, as I was walking into the building, an obese man with a huge belly hanging over way too tight pants looked at me and said "hey, how's it going?"

I have a theory about very obese people. They are hiding something, not literally because hardly anything is hidden with obese people. My sense is people who get that large have serious issues that they are not dealing with. This, instead of, say, getting counseling, they eat and do not exercise. Problem solved.

Except that they are in terrible shape, which can never be a good thing. I usually imagine that people who get that obese had some tragedy in childhood happen and they are eating as a way to insulate themselves from a cruel world. Of course the problem is that no matter how fat you get, because you have not dealt with the real issue, you may be insulating yourself from a healthy solution.

I was thinking about this when I answered the incredibly obese man, "fine". I did not ask him how he was doing because I knew the answer would be a lie, no matter what that answer actually was.

No comments:

Post a Comment