Sunday, October 2, 2011

The California way

I am visiting old friends in Southern California and if there is one thing old friends remind you of is the history of friendships. People who met the skeletons before you put them in the closet have a deeper understanding of who you are at your very basic core. This canbeboth enriching and scary.

What I always forget about Southern California is how hot it is. The air, land and people are darker and more mysterious than I recall. My instinct is to always want to return because there is a familiarity to almost everything, but because this is California, almost everything has changed in drastic and absurd ways.

Last night for the second time in less than a year I had dinner at the same Mexican restaurant that one Richard M. Nixon used to love to eat at. There is no joke here, the food is fine, the people gracious, the waiter young and handsome, so it was perfect. A young couple was getting married, my friend and I kept watching the ceremony in the garden area near our table.weddings are romantic and beautiful. We joked about wanted to warn tecouple of the rough rode ahead, but both of also acknowledged that marriage and commitment to to the right person is a wonderful thing, although my friend and I both had been sidetracked by not so perfect marriages in our past.

I ran this morning through the dry hills of San Juan Capistrano, no one was out on the trails, it was early in the morning, and quiet. The peace that enveloped me as I found my way around the area was enriching. I understand how people might want to spend their life here, I also understand why I could not.

No comments:

Post a Comment