Monday, October 24, 2011

Modern times

What is really interesting about living at this moment in history is how easy it is to stand next to a friend and have a conversation, from thousands of miles away.

Last night, from the comfort of my bed, I was chatting with a friend from college whom I had not actually talked with in 3 years. She was in Hong Kong. I was in my bed. She was wearing a beautiful dress and I was in a black t-shirt. Just a few years ago, if I had wanted to have a conversation with my friend and see her facial reactions, I would have had to put on pants, get on a plane and fly to Hong Kong. Of course, she could have flown here, but that has never happened, such is our friendship.

This modern thing, the ability to communicate, the ability to chat and talk and seduce online is something that is such a new thing and so completely without historic perspective, that my sense is, it is out of control. See, in the past, there were rules and those rules were enforced by others in society. If I had flown to Hong Kong and met my friend in the bar of her hotel, and I said something incredibly mean and disgusting and she threw her drink in my face, someone would have noticed, and if my reaction to her thrown drink was overly aggressive, someone would have called the police, or stepped in, and then all hell breaks loose. Online, there are no friends, no one else is watching, there are no internet police you can call to complain about unruly behavior. In some ways that is a good thing, no third party means there are no rules. It also means that people have to actually be adults and be kind, which means unkind people have a whole new playing field to bully, cheat or just be sketchy.

I was thinking about this recently as I was looking over some internet personal ads. These are always funny because they are written by the individual posting them, for others to read and judge and hopefully find them enticing enough to respond to. Here is the given catch in any profile advertisement, everyone lies. Everyone. I have posted a number of such internet personal ads over the years and I can honestly say, in each and every one there was something that was a stretch, almost always my age was at least a year or two, or a decade lower than reality. Now, in my mind, I justified this by knowing that I was much more immature than my actual real age, so I figured I should estimate my age in my level of maturity.

My friend from Hong Kong is a single woman and she has an online dating profile that lists her age as 41. This is not true, nor are her breast size, her education level (she dumbed it down, men don't like smart women) and her income (same, men apparently don't like women with cash). So I asked, when you go on a date and people can kind of tell you might be a little older than you promoted, or that your breasts a little smaller, do you ever get called on that. The answer was no. "It's not the same as in the gay world."

Oh, the gay world. I had forgotten.

Gays lie in profiles on pick up sites all the time. Sketchy the addict had the funniest profile ever. Sketchy is this psychopath I met many years ago who appeared to be a somewhat healthy person, but soon came out as a scary monster. One day Sketchy left a laptop open to a Manhunt (gay online anonymous sex pickup site) open, with his profile left flashing. I sat and read it and one of the descriptions was penis size. Sketchy had somehow stretched this description to 7 inches, which is larger than the national average and at least twice the size of Sketchy the addicts actual penis, at least according to rumors, legend and the current gay blog posts of "I slept with Sketchy The Addict and all I got was this disease" blog. Which always begged the question, if you were unlucky enough to actually sex it up with this pathological liar and ended up having inadequate sexual relations, how long would it take to notice that instead of an above average American penis implement, you were instead being met with some sort of Eastern European micropenis?

So my question to my friend in Hong Kong stood out there. When you lie to someone about something they may soon see or experience, a breast here, a small penis there, what do you do when you don't measure up to your profile promise? She laughed from the hotel room on the other side of the world and said, "when someone is finally in the position to judge, they never seem to care."

30 comments:

  1. Without pics of small, but I am sure perfect, breasts, this "woman" in Hong Kong does not exist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First comment, hit a nerve?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never talk about the size of a woman's breast or a mans dick without expecting the first comment. Ever.Oh, pics of either would have been a nice idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is 3.5 inches really micro (searches for measuring tape, frantically.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. No difference in gay/straight dating profiles, everyone lies. Breasts, age, dicks everything is through the eyes of the person who owns them, we all think our parts are better than they are. I liked the image of standing next to your friend from thousands of miles apart. What are you doing with all these stories?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can just anyone Skype with you?

    ReplyDelete
  7. How about some links to these profiles?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Boys and their penis size, do you guys ever grow up?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I believe it mentions women lying about breast size, so there's that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What exactly is an "Eastern European Micropenis?"

    ReplyDelete
  11. New here, who is Sketchy the addict?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Use the search feature, he is a reoccurring character. Pay attention.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's interesting that your female friend lowers her education and income level and raises her breast size, while all Sketchy the addict has to worry about is penis size, and he is cruising on what is basically an online bathhouse, known as a disease transfer franchise. So Sketchy is going to be showing his small member to people expecting more, which is strange, while your friend will only have to act stupid and pretend not to have money. Interesting that both can not be bothered to just be honest. Kind of a sad state of the dating world. I am in an LTR and happy I don't have to worry about inadequate dicks or misrepresenting bimbos.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is all so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yeah, betaleph on dudesnude looks an awful lot like what I would imagine Sketchy would look like if he was trolling the internet for unsuspecting victims.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those are just gross

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ohh, that is GROSS. Who posts pictures like that? Who is that?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Why did you make me go to this Dudesnude site and figure out how to get past the initial not wanting to become a member BS and then search for beetlebop or whatever, only to see that, well, that mess?
    I know, free will, but dammit, I did it and now I can not get those 45 seconds back, and I have to live with that weird nipple thing, that hairless vagina area place, that dude has a vagina? And the chinless bearded mess of a face. Why? Why? Why? Who and what is that mess?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Damn, the underside of the internet just got a lot uglier.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Previous, not the entire underside, just those pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yeah, I went through the trouble of looking and I have to say, I don't get that at all, were they supposed to be seductive? I mean, I don't want to be bitchy, but those were sad. That face pic is just so forlorn and pathetic, and that body, looks more like an autopsy. Ouch!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Just when I thought I had seen most of the sites on the internet, I had to go check that one out. Thank you for that. Who is that anyway? Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  23. The empty and dead look in his eye will haunt me.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I knew if I searched I could find this. I noticed by looking at the profile that betlebop or whatever his name is has not been checking that profile for a couple of weeks, my guess is that he has found a new person to infect.

    ReplyDelete