Sunday, October 23, 2011

Gay marriage is here

If you are like me, and chances are you are exactly like me, you will have already noticed what I did this morning. You, like me, read the New York Times and thought to yourself, damn, the World Series is really shaping up to be something. No, seriously, are they even playing the World Series this year?

Then again, I wonder how my good friend Muammar el-Qaddafi is doing? I wonder if he got my Ramadan card.

Still, on Sundays, as I always do, I check the wedding announcements, because I, like you, love love. I love to see people in love. I love to see people in commitments. I love to see people in public say things like, "I do."

Mostly, in the New York Times they have these wonderful wedding listings of couples in love, ready to get married and they have the wonderful stories about how they met, first dates, plans for the future, all that sort of romantic stuff. A few months ago, when New York, of all places, started allowing the Gays to marry, more and more gay people were featured in the Times section with proud pictures and equally fun stories of how they met and their future plans.

This morning, while I was having a cup of tea and thinking loving thoughts, I chanced to view the wedding announcements and there, for the first time in history, the top two announcements in the New York Times were gay people getting married. Now, this may not be a big deal to you, or me, or anyone else, but if you step back and think for a second, it is kind of a big deal. See, just a few months ago, gay people could not even legally get married in New York and this morning, gay people can still not get married in the vast majority of states in America. It does make you wonder when bigots still use that argument that if you allow gays to get married it will ruin marriage for everyone, and then a state like New York is allowing gays to marry and it doesn't seem to impact anyone except the happily married gays, that argument becomes null.

There it is though, right there on the front page of Style, two gay couples, happy gay couples, getting married. Proudly getting married, not damaging the fabric of America, not trying to disrupt the religions or anything else, they just want to commit to one another, to proudly be a couple and be married. How nice is that? Of course, there were other couples, straight couples, happy couples, colorful couples and funny looking couples and all sorts of people getting married. Marriage is wonderful and people get married all the time. This morning, some gay people are getting married and that just seems peachy.

1 comment: