Monday, January 3, 2011

Cereal monogomist

Trader Joe's in my friend. It seems like a lot of good meals come off of their shelves. It was surprising to me that I woman I know told me recently that she has never been. This is a woman with fairly young children, and a husband. I was a little surprised.

Anyway, I have had all these dietary issues over the past year and recently found some sort of granola derivative cereal at Traders that has been wonderful. Strange histories of breakfast infidelities make me less that positive this cereal will be the one. The strange things about cereals is that they can entice you at first, show you how good they are and how good for you they can be, but experience has shown that down the road, that initial high can wear off. I am left with an empty bowl and the question of "is that all there is to you?"

It's a complex thing really, the shared moments, the time spent getting to know one another, the thinking that this is a trustworthy cereal, a cereal you can rely on and then one moment, say a sour dried fruit, or some external trouble like not so great milk, and all of a sudden you see cereals in a completely different light.

For the longest time I was all about pancakes. They could be manipulated into shocked disguises, sometimes plain and simple, sometimes bursting with blueberries that would make them more passionate and colorful. They allow you to do that in the hopes that showing more of themselves and their flexibility would make them a staple of your morning routine, but then, one day you wake up and realize there is more out there.

Options are important. I stuck with pancakes much longer than I think they really deserved. This new cereal, we have known each other for a year or more at this point and to be honest, while I believe this cereal is good and healthy and has done the job, I am already looking at other boxes and options. It might be my nature, with little to do with the cereal I am passionate about. I doubt that this is a bad thing, you bring a new cereal into your house, you share it with friends, you love it, but you also know it is not perfect.

I recently heard this amazing statement about relationships, that there never is a one, the perfect partner, there is a close to one that you accept. Sometimes you can not accept it and that one moves on, and sometimes you accept the imperfections of the one you are with, making them the one because you do end up spending your life with them, even though they are not the perfect one.

No comments:

Post a Comment