Monday, January 3, 2011

Home repair update

OK, I got an email question the economics of a complete bathroom rebuild, with a budget of 1500 dollars and an actual cost of 900, even with mistakes and troubles.

I could break it down, but first, we saved a lot of money by actually reusing a tub that was in a run down bathroom on the third floor. The claw foot tub from the 2nd floor was moved upstairs, the tub that was there, that looked beaten down and unused for years, was brought down, cleaned up and used as a tub/bath. In our initial budget we planned to buy a new shower unit, when we were able to reuse the tub, we saved a lot of money.

I am also a big shopper at Construction Junction, which is a store that has all sorts of amazing finds. Basically if people are redoing any sort of construction, they often donate the old stuff to Construction Junction. The warehouse is filled with all sorts of materials, from entire kitchens to school lockers. The prices are incredibly low. My daughter and I bought the cabinets and counter top for our kitchen for 75 dollars.

OK?

Plus, we did not hire a plumber or any other trade professional for anything.

Finally, as of this morning, the leaking pipe, that caused me to rip out a portion of the living room ceiling, continues to drip, but less frequently. We are waiting until it is completely dry to attempt the repair. If that works, replacing the tiles and sealing the leak will have cost us less than 100 dollars. If it does not work, it will costs maybe 20 dollar more, and a lot of time, to replace part of the pipe. Doing the work myself saves the most money.

Enough with the questions. I have a fascinating sex/relationship email to get to, but now I must edit.

No comments:

Post a Comment