Friday, May 6, 2011

The homo texts

About a year ago I had to tell a friend that his behavior was kind of scary and that I thought he should maybe find another family to adopt.

This friend, who I will call my Homo Friend, took it well.

A little history, Homo Friend presented himself as a nice enough guy, and as we got to know one another, I would get these super friendly texts, asking how my day was, or how the dog was or something like that. Homo Friend is incapable of depth, so everything always centered around something simple, new cartoon shows, how anything "was" and asking if I had a date or something. Simple stuff.

As our friendship seemed to grow, the texts grew in volume. I would wake to 2 or 3 texts describing a movie Homo Friend had seen, or a party Homo Friend had attended. As we became closer, I would get descriptions of dates that Homo Friend had been on, at first in only general terms, "had a wonderful date tonight" and then, over the months, "hot sex with a twink" or something like that.

For whatever reason, possibly because Homo Friend does not have a blog, the texts were Homo Friends way of keeping me posted on daily life. The problem was and remains, I am not interested in the vast majority of Homo Friends daily life.

Once I started to get the gay sex updates I realized that I could not continue with the constant texts. At first I told Homo Friend that his texts would come at all hours of the day and my phone would buzz or beep, waking me at 3 AM to learn that Homo Friend had again met some amazing man who was probably the one. Of course, with Homo Friend, at 3 PM the amazing man was history, a stained t-shirt and a distant memory.

I did learn a lot about the transient and shallow nature of Homo Friends lifestyle. Now, do not get me wrong or begin right now composing emails telling me I am both homophobic and hateful to the gay lifestyle and all sorts of other silliness. I am Homo Friend phobic and I am not impressed with his transient/hookup at any cost lifestyle, but that is his choice in life, not all gays, not healthy gays anyway.

Anyway, around this time last year I texted Homo Friend, because that really is the only way to communicate with him, and I said the constant texting needed to stop. Of course, he misread this, thinking the late night-early morning texting needed to stop. So midafternoon airport bathroom hookups could still be documented, as would his photos taken on his phone and shared with his contact list, those too kept being shared.

It took another month or two before I again confronted Homo Friend and said, please I can not stand the constant texts with the shallow updates. This one sank in, because if there is one thing Homo Friend feared more than late night rejections, it was being called on his shallowness. Quickly I was removed from the barrage of texts and text photos. Soon, my phone was silent and I began to love the peace. Homo Friend had long ceased to be interesting and once the daily updates disappeared so did my interest in all things Homo Friend.

Our friendship fizzled and as is the plight of a Homo Friend, he moved on to other people with smart phones and a need to hear about online hookups, airport hookups, late night club hookups and college dorm hookups. I was out of the loop and could not have been happier.

I have not heard in any form from Homo Friend for over 10 months and I have to say, until I started writing this post, I had not thought much about him.

Recently I was interviewed for a study on brain damage and the doctor who spoke to me happened to be gay. We had a nice talk and he mentioned something about an extra ticket for a show that was produced in a downtown theater. Of course I could go, I said. I gave the good Gay Doctor my cell and told him to call or text and I would meet at the theater the next day.

As I was walking to my car I got a text, telling me how nice it was to meet. Over the next few hours I got many texts, looking forward to the show, a link to the productions website, a question about whether I could meet earlier for a drink, possibly dinner. The texts came at a furious pace. For the most part my response was no, no drinking, no meeting, no website, no no no no.

Into the night the texts kept coming.

After the play the texts kept coming. Gay Doctor had one thing in common with Homo Friend, an almost addictive need to continually update and text for no reason other than the ability to text.

This went on until last night. I was preparing to pass out and my phone, sound turned off, kept buzzing. It was Gay Doctor, texting away with concepts and plans, news and events, scores and show openings. Would I be interested in this, that, something else.

Finally I got up, grabbed my phone, and wrote a simple text, please stop, I am ill and your constant texting is making me poop.

Not a response. Nothing this morning, maybe nothing ever again.

Which would be fine with me. As much as Gay Doctor is much more interesting that Homo Friend, the need to update me with almost hourly reports on rather uninteresting lives is problematic, to say the least. Now, I am not so sure this is a gay thing, because quite honestly, I am often walking around downtown and people on a daily basis walk into me because their heads are down, focused on their screens, texting important messages to people who can not wait to read that their friend is walking to lunch.

I know, this is the world we live in. I accept that. But, like the loud outdoor cellphone speakers who either think their conversations are worthy of everyone's attention, or they are deaf and yelling into their phone is the only conversation they are capable of, but for the life of me, our society is moving quickly into insane times solely based on over communication of the most inane details. Homo Friend was a banal and shallow sex addict, which meant that his texts were at least salacious. Gay Doctor was just lonely, which meant that in his willingness to befriend, he became obnoxious. I miss the days prior to cell phones, where when you saw your friend you could sit and have a drink and get caught up. Now, I get constant updates on aspects of lives I have no interest in.

There is a solution to this. If more people just led more interesting lives, I would welcome the text updates. But once you have read about the latest traveling Broadway production coming to town, or the super hot guy someone has just met, it all becomes a blur of too much information. I have an idea, do something fascinating and then text me a sentence about the shuttle flight, or the cure for cancer or something of substance, because your personal life should remain just that, personal.

34 comments:

  1. YES! First, I hate texts. Especially late night texts. Especially sex exploit texts, while I am home alone in bed and they are all sexing. Hate almost all texts. Thanks for sharing, cause I think everyone hates bullshit texts.
    How come only the gays are texting you by the way?

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, I have a homo friend too and the texts and email updates have also turned risque. What to do? What to do?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grumpy much? My generations Andy Rooney, "you know what I hate? I hate all these darn texts."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate drunk texts at 2 in the morning, waking me up, with bullshit news.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your right, if more people had blogs to share theyre stupid words iwth, fewwr would text. stfu assfick

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the design changes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fuck texts, I hate them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gays are not the only testing queens, I had a friend updating me from a baseball game last night, pitch by pitch, texting 3 hours.
    I guess he could be gay, don't know actually.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's the only way my wife and I talk anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I got a twitter message to check this blog and now I will text my friends to check this blog because what you wrote about texts is true. Still, welcome to the real world.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How about an electronic short story book? I see almost 3 years of posts, but the vast majority are shit, but some of these are brilliant, probably enough for a collection. You should think about collecting these, putting them in some digital format and offering it on Amazon and Itunes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You ever wonder why Home Friend felt obligated to share his sexual conquests with you? Did you not think to draw the line the first time he texted with this sort of news? Did you get some twisted pleasure out of these texts? Vicarious much?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Could you text me this post?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I text while I poo, does that make me a bad person?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Try texting while peeing, standing up, at a public urinal, like a baseball game. That is a skill few men have.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I do not buy the commentator who claims to text while making number two. Until you post a picture of such an event, it did not happen.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, same with you, Mr. Texting While Peeing. No Pic, never happened.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A book of the collected "best of" stores from this blog would be cool. Check your email, I have a suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Can you post your cell number so we can all text you? I want to read about your reaction.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I would not appreciate my gay friends texting me about their sex hookups either. Who does that?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just cause you say you are not homophobic does not make it so. Just your attitude alone towards Homo Friend, or heck, even your name for Homo Friend, sure goes along way in making the case that you are a homophobe.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Please give Homo Friend my number, I could use some late night sex texts. Talk about hot.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Someone had a brilliant idea, short story this mother fucking blog. In fact, my bet is that by the end of the day, the best posts are gone, never to be seen outside of a copyright again.
    Now that I think about it, fucking hateful stupid idea.

    ReplyDelete
  24. You may be stupid

    ReplyDelete
  25. The digital book is a great idea

    ReplyDelete
  26. You are a hypocrite. You blOg, make films and obviously text, you just don't want others doing the same, especially the gays. Creep.

    ReplyDelete
  27. What does it day when people call you stupid and a hypocrite, yet they come back here day in and day out to read your stupid hypocritical words?

    ReplyDelete
  28. First off, judging from the comments, you are getting a lot of interest, good for you, do a god damned book and earn some money. What is weird, is how many people hate texts, guess what? You don't have to get a phone that receives or sends texts, you all know that right?
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Is there anyway you can limit the number of stupid comments? I like reading the comments on this blog, but sometimes, there seem to be a bunch of idiotic teens posting. Do something.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks again for making my mind picture homo's hooking up with other homo's. Once again this blog has ruined my sex life.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Remove all the stupid comments and how many would you have?

    ReplyDelete
  32. Above, just mine.

    ReplyDelete
  33. That's convinces me, not only should the gays not be allowed to get married, they should not be allowed to text straight people with their out and about sex lives. You realize how jealous straight guys get with the gay? The gays always seem to be able to just hook up for sex, while us poor straight guys have to buy drinks, or dinner, or roofies. I am calling my congressman and demanding that all text plans be removed from gay peoples phones. Enough is enough.

    ReplyDelete