Monday, May 9, 2011

oh honey

I just wanted that one more moment.
It seemed like we were always an airport off
a missed phone call away
there you were on a map
a city of history and I never made it there.

A polaroid of memories can not do you justice
your perfect body and a smile that swooned
there was a moment with you where the world stood still
and no one noticed except us.

I have never touched anyone the same
I probably never will.
I kept thinking, I should go visit.
I never did.
Every now and then a tug at my heart and I would call
an email of pictures and promises
in the end, everyone is busy with a life worth leading.

You had a house on Lookout Mountain
I had a big boat in the harbor
Between us we shared a fat cat named Permer
And one time, a sports car with the top down,
Permer asleep on the back seat and a cold beer in my hand,
I was sure life would never get any better

Perfectly imperfect and drop dead beautiful
I keep thinking I should call
You would answer and have secrets to tell.
I emailed a stranger, asking for your latest address
and I got back your obituary.

How did that happen
you were younger than me
and healthier
strong, smarter, sexier
the notice said you died of heart disease.
need I say more?

It's been a long time since I kissed you
walked on a beach with you
held your hand and smiled with you

Something so bright can only burn so long
it was an honor to be loved and to love
if I never find that again
what we shared was enough

10 comments:

  1. Was just leaving work and saw this, now I am crying and sad. I feel for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart goes out to you. I am so sorry for you loss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know the feeling of regret when you lose a loved one and did not do everything you could to see them, spend time with them and tell them you love them. Goo luck and please do no feel a need to write or entertain those of us who only know you via this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In one day you went from Jupiter Rising to this. That is astonishing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agree with previous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "There was a moment with you when the world stood still"

    You realize how few people ever experience a moment like that, right? You are so lucky and you loss must be profound, but remember that moment, when the two of you had the power to make the world stand still.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes it's best to leave long lost love where it was, lost. Not saying so in this case, but it seems to me, when you turn over some rocks, you may not always find what you'd hoped would be there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, I come here for the yucks. Keep your weepy shit to yourself.

    Regrets? Yeah, I have a few, like reading bad poetry in the afternoon.

    ReplyDelete