Sunday, February 13, 2011

Art for sale

I was an internet art sensation.

That is not true.

Well, it was kind of true.

In the span of a few years, a little tiny website I created garnered enough attention to lead the the sales of over 100 paints and almost as many hand made clocks.

That much is true.

It was a great time.

I was kind of lucky because I did not know what I was doing. I created the website out of some Microsoft box thing. The site was a mess, flying things and wells and a dog. It was just a jumbled mess, but you could find pictures of paintings and you could email and a price would be agreed to, I would get a check, you would get a painting and the world seemed to keep spinning without any sort of notation.

I was traveling a lot back then and everywhere I went I did some sort of marketing, largely illegal, some of it disgusting, some of it kind of funny. I would go to art openings in major cities and slip my cards into the galleries own marketing materials. Posters went up in subways in Paris, London, New York and business in many major cities. I never paid a dime for advertising. I never hired a press agency or marketing firm. In the end the site closed down with more than 1 million unique visitors.

I bring all of this to your attention, in part, because I have a slew of new paintings I may want to sell if I can't get a gallery to show some interest, but mostly, I wanted to direct you to this site SITE

2 comments:

  1. I like her stuff, hate her site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey internet art sensation, post some pictures of your work.

    ReplyDelete