Thursday, February 17, 2011

Prayer flags

Something I learned a long time ago, that seems to be appropriate from time to time, is embrace the things that matter right now, because we have no real guarantee on tomorrow.

Which brings me to Tibetan Prayer Flags.

Many years ago a woman I knew with a bit of a coke problem was getting ready to seek help. So, what I did then was line her driveway with prayer flags, not because of my Buddhist upbringing, or because I am a Buddhist (I am not) or that I particularly believed that prayer flags could do anything more than indicate a soft breeze. No, I wanted her to be able to see something beautiful and possibly spiritual and go from there.

This year is turning out to be one of the best of my life. January was certainly a good month, both in accomplishments, goals met and planning for a long range future. Sure, like every month in history, there were personal road blocks, but because this is looking to be such a great year, those road blocks were really nothing. Now, this month has been a little stranger, mostly because it became obvious that a friend with addiction problems needed to be released from friendship. Oh well, that too, which a tiny bit dramatic, is done and gone.

So why the flags?

More importantly, if you go to Amazon.Com and look for Tibetan Prayer Flags, you get a package of them, I think 3, plus for a penny more, you get an actual Tibetan flag. Now, how many times in life is there an add on for a penny? Really, and a beautiful flag for a penny, seems hard to pass by.

So, if I could just use your patience for a second, close your eyes, think about beautiful Buddhist pray flags and say a quiet little prayer all to yourself. To me, it really doesn't matter what they prayer is, although I do have some suggestions if you are interested. Most importantly is to remember that the only time we are guaranteed is this moment and it is fleeting.

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm, I see a pattern in todays posts. Is there something you want to share?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life is fleeting, so why am I wasting mine reading this shit?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Move back to Seattle, you will always have a place with me.

    ReplyDelete