Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The phone call

Late last night, or possibly very early this morning, my cell phone rang. Lately I have been turning my cell phone off at night, because for the longest time I could not get sleep with email beeps and text's coming in at all hours. The only way to shut it up was to shut it off.

I needed to wake up early this morning so it was not silenced and at some point it rang and I did what most people do, without looking at caller ID, I answered.

Tiny D said, "is that you?"

A couple of notes about Tiny D. We met in college. He was, and quite possibly still is, a ladies man, he is incredibly smart and gifted, he has been both a heavy duty drug addict and an endurance athlete, not at the same time. He is married and has children. For whatever reason we stay in touch, but so infrequently that even my closest friends would say, who is Tiny D and why have I never heard about him?

January has been a great month for me and there is no way it could have been better, unless right there, on the last day of the month, Tiny D calls me late at night. Usually, in the past, when he has called at this hour, he has fallen off the wagon, was in bed with a couple of women, high as a kite and needing to share. This time, I was just a little shocked.

"I got your voice mail from August."

Now, after a very few pleasantries Tiny said those exact words. What shocked me was, I had not made a call to Tiny D in well over 2 years, or at least that's what I thought.

Transcripts of the phone call and all the important lessons Tiny D had to share. Later.

2 comments:

  1. Everyone makes drunk calls. Please tell us that you will be posting it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. tiny d? God, that might be the best name yet.

    ReplyDelete