Sunday, February 13, 2011

Valentines day

First off, I do not believe in Valentines Day. Never have, never will. I have never bought into the idea that on this day, somehow, we lemmings are supposed to run for jewels or candy or flowers or something and give those purchased items to someone we love. Always seemed stupid, still does.

In the past I have found fun and interesting ways to avoid the "holiday". Certainly while I was dating Sketchy The Addict, we both intellectually agreed that V-Day (our little fun term) was just a consumerist nightmade, designed to make Hersheys a decent profit while getting middle aged men laid.

Sketchy The Addict did not believe in a lot of the holidays of America, which was a good way for me to save money. You don't believe in something, why buy gifts for it? Brilliant logic.

During my time with Stony the artist, we skipped the vast majority of holidays, preferring to stay in bed, eat pizza, read books that made no sense and make love like humans are generally not allowed to do. Stony and I were together only one Valentines Day, but for the life of me, I can not remember what we may have done.

The woman I loved was so long ago, college and everything, and we too did not spend a great deal of time focused on the culture. That is, we avoided anything that seemed fake and there is nothing more fake than Valentines Day. It was almost our duty to pretend like it was just another day, which of course, it is. Except for the middle aged men getting laid part, but back then, the last thing we wanted to think about was middle aged men doing the nasty.

At some point I became such a middle aged man. At some point I was dating Drunky McDunkington during a valentines day. I believe we went out to a romantic dinner, ate great foot, drank amazing wine and probably snuck back to the house we shared and converted our bodies into naked pretzels. That may be my favorite valentines day I can remember. It is, unfortunately, not the only valentines day I remember.

3 comments:

  1. First do these people really exist? Drunky, Stony, Sketchy? Do you know if they read this blog? Do they have endearing terms for you? Please, this has got to be worth at least a follow up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'First off, I do not believe in Valentines Day." Are you insane? It's not something you believe in or not, it's a commercial holiday, you may not partake in the silliness, but you really have no choice whether to believe it or not. BTW, love the names, Sketchy the Addict? I don't want to meet these people, but I do like their names.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you write about these people some more. I do like when you answer peoples questions, but weave some stories from Stony and Sketchy and Drunky. My lord, I could read a novel just about the adventures of those three.

    ReplyDelete