Saturday, February 5, 2011

Flipping bird

I walked up to my room this morning, which is three flights of stairs for those of you who worry about my knees, and as I rounded the landing, a bird dove down towards me, pulled up, slammed into the window, and turn and flew in the opposite direction.

He tried the same move on the other window, which was also closed and again flew past me, hit the window that was now behind me and landed for a breath, maybe to wonder why the hell his head hurt and look around.

I called my young daughter to find a net, because of there is one thing I am afraid of more than lesbian dogs, it is birds flying in my bedroom. Lucky for me, instead of a new, momma kitty showed up on the scene.

By this time I had opened one of the small windows that over look out street. I figured that if the bird was smart enough to keep flying into closed windows, he might just have it in himself to fly out an open one. By flapping out arms and screaming obscenities we were able to get him close to the open window, but he went too high and crashed into the closed part. About this time Momma Cat pounded and pulled him from the air, all the while my daughter and I were screaming "no Momma Cat, put him down."

She did not, but she ran under my desk, where I grabbed her, she spit the bird up and he bounced around, saw the open window and was gone.

As I write this Momma Cat is resting at the foot of my bed, nursing a bit of damaged pride and a hunger only a fresh bird could quench. The only real question that remains is how did a bird end up in my bedroom? It is winter here, all windows are closed and remain closed. There is nothing open to the elements in my room.

I did have boxes of books that I was going to take to Goodwill on the floor, but that would not have been something the bird would care about.

This is a mystery with no answer. Of course, Momma Kitty is lobbying for some sort of winter nest that the bird might return to, somewhere in my bedroom. Good luck with that, killer.


f

2 comments: