Monday, April 11, 2011

Becky is gone

I was in a Shakespeare play many years ago, in South Dakota, in a new modern theater, with great costumes. Those are the key points and all that I remember. I would like to say the play was As You Like It, but even that has faded. There was a forest, or garden, I was a king, pretending to be someone else, and I walked around a lot with my hand on my hip. Many nights, the actor who played the fool would get stoned and when I would be offering him king-like advice, he would giggle.

The most beautiful woman in all the Midwest was cast as the female lead. She was lithe and sexy in that fresh faced and clean American way that is really only honestly possible in the Midwest. I can not remember a time she was not smiling. I was immediately attracted to her.

In some ways she was a super sexy Wilma Flintstone. She was so physically attractive that I was sometimes able to forget that she was also brilliant and funny. We ended up dating for a few weeks, until her brutish boyfriend from Rapid City found out and drove all the way to out peaceful campus to promise to kill me if I ever so much as asked Becky to dance.

I may have been more fearless back then, or just stupid, but the attraction I felt for Becky was not going to be intimidated away. One weekend we decided that what we needed was a big city, room service and a big bed. At that time the Kansas City Hyatt had one of those spinning bars on the top of the building. You could actually sit down and leave a trail of peanuts all the way around the circle, as the floor spun slowly offering unimpressive views of an old unimpressive city.

As the bar slowly spun and I placed peanuts into the non-moving shelf that ran next to us, we began to talk with our waiter. He was fun and funny, handsome and had stories to tell. We made plans to meet the next day and we spent the entire time in his company, touring thrift stores and drinking. There was a moment that weekend where the world stood still. Becky and I and our waiter friend, back at his simple but lovely home, drinking a glass of wine. There was some sort of classical music playing in a back room, we had spent an eventful day learning the secrets to this new, but terribly boring city. All of a sudden, one of the most romantic and memorable moments in all my life just sort of rolled into the room, capturing all three of us in one of those times where just everything is in its right place.

Our sneaky relationship would last, in some form or another, forever. Becky and I spoke on the phone often, and as I started to lead a completely different life, she and I would find time to meet, first in LA, then New York, once in Alaska, a couple of times in Seattle and almost living together in New York. She even met me to work on the house in Pittsburgh for a weekend.

We also had the ability to go long stretches of time without hearing a peep. For a while she was married, as was I. The phone would ring and all of a sudden we were close, loving one anothers life choices and laughing, always laughing. A brilliant woman always, she could find humor in any situation. She called my mom "Bitchin' Lenore" until the day she died, then she just called her my mother.

In all these years, from Kansas City to Amsterdam, Becky has bounced in and out of my life, rarely making a peep to those around. I did not introduce her to other friends, not out of shame, but more out of keeping Becky all too myself. She had that power that men find attractive and women find intimidating. She could walk into any room, and I have seen her walk into a great variety of rooms, and she would own it. Not just her beauty, but her attitude, which almost always screamed this is my room, welcome to it. What became a life long running gag was that almost any woman who has had an important role in my life becomes a Becky.

In many ways, all the Becky's I know will always carry on the legacy of Becky, Rebecca, a woman I met, loved, liked, shared memories, honored and will always carry with me the most cherished of places in my heart.

Rebecca died recently. I know very little about how and why and to be honest, I am not that interested. Death is waiting patiently for all of us, it is part of our process. Becky lived life like a wild fire, breezing around, causing trouble and being uniquely beautiful and powerful.

Even wild fires burn out.

22 comments:

  1. This blog is starting to drive me crazy. You need a score card to understand who these people are and how they float into and out of your life. I just figured out what Sketchy was, or who, and now I have a bunch of Beckys to track?
    Please go back to answering letters from cheaters and the people they cheat on. Those were funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crushing. Glad you had each other Matt, gonna go do something nice to take my mind off your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is disrespectful to call all the women in your life "Becky". It is your personal way of degrading their individual values and uniqueness. In fact, "Becky" has become an unrealistic fantastical ideation. Get over it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not a Becky, but my heart goes out to you for your loss. Sounds like you and Becky had something few of us ever get to find.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is not disrespectful to call all the women in your life Becky. Especially since you seem to have no long term memory. Keep up the writing, this blog is my new favorite addiction.
    If I get a sex change, I too would like to be known as Becky.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post, brought a tear to my eye. If calling all the important women in your life Becky is something they all seem to put up with, I see no harm. In fact, I wish I had come up with it. Do you have a male form of Becky? A name for all your male friends?
    One more thing, some of the funny posts on this blog are incredibly funny. You have a way with words.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK, someone with a thorn in their side wrote this: "It is disrespectful to call all the women in your life "Becky". It is your personal way of degrading their individual values and uniqueness. In fact, "Becky" has become an unrealistic fantastical ideation. Get over it."

    Huh? How could you read the above blog post and be all hateful and bitter? Honey (Becky) you need to step back and see the love and admiration he shared with Becky. Beyond that, who knows, but it sounds like they had something special and you took so little away and read into so much more.

    Great writing. Keep up the good work. Plus, I am guessing that the Beckys in your life get you and your sense of humor. Too bad anonymous posters do not.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with the thorn in the side poster. I do not take these postings as literally as others. Creative writing! Short stories! We are all so quick to embrace the romanticism of the dead and/or gone. she was not the person who dealt with your quirks, with your day to day moods...people like Becky are fantasies who come and go. She ain't there when you are sick and she ain't there when your mom dies, and she ain't there when you're broke. She is like a great vacation. But, you can't live on a vacation. In fact, most of us are pretty happy and content when we get home. I'd rather be Martha.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like reading this blog, but I LOVE reading the comments.

    There is like 20 comments on this post and for me, that is like a dream come true. Move back to California, I am sure you can find a few Beckys here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Previous poster, or previous poster to the previous poster, huh? Sounds to me like Becky was real, not imaginary and was very much a part of his real life. Sounded like she was much more than a vacation from reality too. I don't know the blogger, but just judging from the post, sounds to me like she was real, active and engaged for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Never met Matt or any of his Beckys. These are short stories, some seem real, others (zombies at Wal-Mart) no so much. Who cares? Hard enough to find good writing anywhere, this stuff is free and from my perspective, pretty well done and often times brilliant. You don't like it? Stop reading, or write in the comments, they seem pretty unfiltered.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Becky is gone, long live Becky.

    ReplyDelete
  13. At some point the always go away.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just read this, my heart goes out to you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am confused, by both the original post and the myriad of comments. Is/was Becky real? Did she really die?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Here is what I don't understand. You and "Becky" were friends/lovers, right? For over 20 years? Through her marriage and presumably yours? When you say you have always been monogamous in your relationships, but you never introduced friends or lovers to "Becky" what does that mean? Did you sleep with her for the entire time you two would meet in NY, Alaska, Seattle, New York and Pittsburgh? You are so confusing.
    If she is just a made up character for your blog, why? Don't get me wrong, I read this blog and for the most part, I thought I got it, but you have kids and a lover and claim (in your brutal letters to cheaters and addicts) to be a better and more moral person, except when it comes to a long time affair? Seriously?
    Please explain.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What I want is video of you in a Shakespeare play. That would make my day.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Previous poster calling him on his shit, just so you know, I have yet to see a comment either answered in comments or used in a blog post. My guess, especially with your post, it will not be addressed.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, that last line floored me. Great writing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just been browsing your blog. This post is, in my opinion, just sort of brilliant. You tell the story of meeting and growing to love one another, holding on through marriages to others and finally Rebecca passing in such a warm and sentimental way. It is obvious you had a deep love for one another. In some ways my heart really does break reading this, mostly because so few of us ever find anyone to love profoundly. I am so happy for you that in your life you had Rebecca. You aand she were both lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am with another comment, how did you meet in all these places, when she is married, you are married, whatever, and you two did what? Chatted? Just not buying it. Either you were secretly screwing, which is what you bitch at others about, or you were, knitting I guess? Screams bullshit to me.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sexy Wilma Flintstone? I always thought Wilma was hot.

    ReplyDelete