Friday, April 29, 2011

Peanuts

Next week my daughter, and in part myself, will be hosting a couple of exchange students from China. I am reminded of my own experience, leading a group of Japanese high school students many years ago on a visit/tour of California and the Grand Canyon.

Even now I do not remember how I got hoodwinked into such a mess, but there I was, waiting at the Jewish summer camp that would house the students for a few days. The bus pulled out and all these wonderful young students came clamoring out. To them, we were rock stars, Americans, powerful and sexy and smart. At least that's what I thought.

I had a small group of young men and almost immediately I was set upon by my packs leader, we will call him Shithead. Shithead was funny and charming and he had a nickname for me, Peanuts. The first few days we did fun things, swimming, playing catch and watching American movies. The students loved it. We were in Southern California, the weather was perfect and the Jewish summer camp had all sorts of game rooms and activities that would keep Jews busy, so the students and us counselors were having a great time.

The plan was to spend some time in California, bus to the Grand Canyon and then bus back for a couple of days at Disneyland and then they students would be on a plane back home. Pretty simple.

Shithead loved to have his posse around and call me, "Peanuts, we go swim now?" And I would say yes, because really, my job was to keep the students occupied and happy. "Peanuts, we watch movie now?" Why of course we will Shithead, why not? Late at night, a sleep Shithead would come to me, "Peanuts, we watch another movie?" Sure I would say, because that was my job and I was starting to warm to the posse, but especially Shithead, who almost seemed like the Asian version of me, always smiling, having fun and looking for and enjoying causing trouble. We would bond on our need to bring chaos to calm situations.

In the morning I would hear "Peanuts, where are you?" I would rumble out of bed and join Shithead and his posse for cereal and orange juice. Another day, more adventure. We went rock climbing, and Shithead was a light, albeit chubby, rock climbing master. He got to the top and screamed for all the world to hear, "Peanuts, I on top."

The bus ride to the Grand Canyon was boring, but I sat in the back with Shithead and his posse, laughing at jokes I failed to understand and making some of my own, which they in turn did not understand, but politely smiled and nodded at. It was a good time. At the canyon itself, everyone wanted their picture taken with me, Shithead orchestrating everything, "stand next to Peanuts, smile," he would demand. On it went. By the end of the day, we were all swimming, "Peanuts, play Mark Polo." We had a great time, laughing almost the entire day. It was good.

Back on the buses and off to Disneyland. I think we slept most of the time, although somewhere around the California border I woke to find Shithead trying to draw a smile on my forehead with a black marker. Not cool Shithead, not cool.

We checked into the hotel in Anaheim, Shithead and his band and I shared a room, so it was going to be a wild time, that was a given. We did get some sleep, and early the next morning we all made our way to the Magic Kingdom. All day all I heard was Peanuts this and Peanuts that. "We take picture with Peanuts." I felt for a second what it must be like to have celebrity status, these Asian boys just adored me and wanted my picture.

Now, you have to understand, for the vast majority of my young life I had very few nicknames, one being Fatty Matty and the other, a reoccurring name, Ugly. Peanuts was a marked improvement over both and I kind of thought if it stuck, it would not be that bad.

We had a magical time at Disneyland. The posse and I bonded, there were countless pictures of the boys and Peanuts and all the time, on every ride all I could hear was Peanuts, look, or Peanuts smile. It was fun beyond words.

Then we went back to the hotel to pack and the sad and shocking news would be delivered. The posse was packing bags and taking final group pictures, all of them asking for Peanuts to pose one last time, which I happily did. Then everyone wanted a picture of me and Shithead together. So we sat next to one another on a couch and everyone took our picture. It was fun.

As we sat there and the flashes from the cameras died out, I asked Shithead, why did he decide to start calling me Peanuts. "Because you Peanuts," he said and smiled. "But I am not Peanuts, my name is Matt." "No, you Peanuts," he reiterated. "I don't know what you mean," I said. "You Peanuts," he said and pointed to his crotch, "Peanuts, Peanuts, you peanuts."

"You mean, Penis?" I said, bewildered.

"Yes, you Peanuts."

For a week of fun, games, movies, travel and adventure, where I was seriously bonding with my brothers from Japan, the entire time they were basically calling me a dick, to my face, and I thought it was a compliment.

Lesson learned I guess, sometimes in life, we may think we are the Peanuts at the parade, and in reality, we are just another, well, dick.

24 comments:

  1. Oh my god. Perfect story to a wonderful week. You are so funny. Can we please get married?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had I only known.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lunch check list: Cash? Yes. Laptop? Yes. New post on your blog? Yes, thank you. I can now have lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I will always refer to this blog as Peanuts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ilove this blog. I wanna make love to this blog and date it and maybe marry it, cause in my state gays can't marry, but people can still marry blogs. This is my blog now, you can still write on it, but from now on, me and this blog, we are totally doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You should now have to come clean the chicken salad off my computer screen, I laughed so hard, you are responsible for my dirty screen. Peanuts? They called you that for days and you never had a clue, that is just so funny.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Funny post. Was going to write FUCKING funny post, just to see if you would delete the comment. What does it take to get deleted? If I insult you, you fat fucking piece of shit loser, would that work? How about your mother? That hag is a fucking shit head from the old country. Deleted yet? Suck dicks in hell. Still here? Damn, I so want to get my comment deleted.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Without pics of your "peanuts" this never happened.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Asian peanuts? How adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is another great short story. How do you have the time to write these again?

    ReplyDelete
  11. This never happened. No one is that stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I introduced your blog to a friend about a week ago, she just called and asked if I wanted some peanuts in my mouth and then told me to check your blog. Now I am not sure what she meant, thank you for that. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wanted to hate this post, penis jokes are hardly ever funny, but the fact that you can make fun of your own idiocy makes me kind of sympathetic. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  14. OK, there are way too many things wrong with this story to be real. A jew summer camp is California? Yeah, that never happened. A bus of a bunch of Jap students going to the grand canyon? No fucking way. Same thing about a bus ride to disneyland. Plus, who is stupid enough to spend, what was it, a week? Being called anything without wondering what a foreigner would mean. Peanuts? It does sound a lot like penis. Nice try, but totally fake. Still kinda funny and you got some nice racist digs in on the japs.

    ReplyDelete
  15. OK, I love your blog and check it a couple of times a day to read new posts. It's sad that I notice when a post makes it into the Top Five on the list on the right. Do you have control over that, or is it the top posts read by those of us who hover and watch?
    BTW, this, the one on your father and especially Coffee Addicts have been great posts. I am waiting for the book.

    ReplyDelete
  16. OK, (just wanted to keep the pattern going) this is some funny shit. Plus, edit the comments, some are downright disgusting.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Agree with previous posters, this has been another great week of writing, yours, not the commentators, although some of them are kind of funny too. Keep it up and get some rest, reading between the lines, you need it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Some of the comments need to be removed.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh dear, you actually removed a comment. What a man.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You know what's kind of nice? These students travel around the world to spend a week making dick jokes. Plus, who is the joke really on, a guy who thinks people are lovingly calling him Peanuts, or some teenagers who can not pronounce penis? Great post either way.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Between this one, 1000 dates and coffee alchoholics this are fucking great stories. You getting paid?

    ReplyDelete