Friday, April 15, 2011

Guest blogger alert

Dear bloglidites,

Below is a college essay my not-so-gay son wrote a couple of years ago. Obviously I am too impaired to write, so I am letting other stuff fill up you day. There you are, alone in your office, reading this blog, wondering about stuff. Keep in mind that I am either sick in the nearby bathroom, or possibly sleeping on my office floor. You have it better.

Here then:


Hilarious. Psychotic. Flaky. Artistic. This peculiar combination of words only begins to depict the eccentric personality of my surrogate father, Mr. B. Providing guidance and permanence, delivered with wit and obscenity, this man offers a conflicting package of life lessons and humorous memories that profoundly affects my approach to life. Whether teaching me to laugh at absurdities, rejoice in differences, or struggle inexorably against adversity, this complex human, encapsulated in the inconspicuous body of a middle-aged father, has enhanced and ignited my curiosity with this world.

“Maca-tiiiii-ni!” his braying falsetto voice would reverberate down the hallway of the school. Mr. B’s short, yet athletic body followed the verbal summons, prancing in an awkwardly inelegant manner, successfully making himself the center of attention. He reached me through the crowd of students and pounded my shoulders with his “fists of fury”. His outrageous behavior, once embarrassing, now seemed oddly comforting. His habit of mocking the ridiculous, trivial name-calling of youth seemed humorous as he delivered it. Once teased by others because of my unusual name, I learned to accept the title through Mr. B’s strange habit of calling me by any name other than my own. Becky, Lisa, and Midge were my usual nicknames. Unlike other adults’, with their lectures about the principles of sticks and stones, Mr. B’s world transcended into the world of youth. His preposterous mimicry allowed me to laugh at the heartlessness of cruel words. His parodies emphasized the potential unimportance of words and stressed the significance of actions. He taught me to laugh at myself when necessary and enjoy the ridiculousness of life. Whether enduring the pain of shyness, size thirteen shoes, or a bad grade, Mr. B. encouraged me to approach the indignities of being a teenager with humor, and a certain amount of reckless abandon for that which you cannot control.

Quite the literary savant, as a successful writer and journalist, Mr. B used words unreservedly and vociferously. Public places were filled with his clever rants of swear words, odd phrasings, and vernacular descriptions of body parts. This insufferable habit caused me to blush, to look downward, and to wish for the power to transport myself away. However, with time, I began to appreciate the freedom of his language. Mr. B did not fear the consequences of using “forbidden” words; he challenged society’s definitions of appropriateness. His occasional unsuitability was a perspective of the immediate community, not necessarily the reality of his words. I learned to accept the differences of personalities and perceptions. He taught me that the beliefs of others should not influence your own voice. His actions and words demonstrated the vitality and interest that diversity of beliefs can bring to a population.

Recently, Mr. B raced his bicycle down the steep hill adjacent to his home and fell. The resultant brain injury irreversibly changed his life. The medication proved as difficult as the initial trauma. While taking the pejoratively nicknamed, “supermodel drug” (“because it keeps me thin and stupid”), Mr. B suffered a fading capacity for words. He was unable to read or write and watched his livelihood crumble. Enduring inexplicable torment, he kept smiling. His enthusiastic grin and rowdy attitude demonstrated his willingness to adjust his life to fit with the new parameters. His focus and creativity resulted in new paths. Today, after succeeding as an artist and a restaurateur, he is a fantastically successful cinematographer. As I am frustrated with the limitations and regulations of my school, he reminds me that there are many choices of paths, and that there is not one “right” answer, but rather, a multitude of choices. He reminds me that with creativity and self-examination, and a little humor and zealousness thrown in, journeys may take us to places that we had not imagined. He taught me that stubborn persistence overcomes anxiety and fear and that unexpected trials may lead to equally unexpected wonders.

His influences stretch far beyond the greater moral lessons of life. He taught me that the t-shirts from the thrift store are crazier than the tees at the Gap, that nothing tastes better than homemade vanilla ice cream at the end of a summer’s day, and that every Tuesday is fajitas-for-dinner night. He gave me the stability and caring that was missing with my absentee biological father. He showed me that a punch in the arm meant the same as a hug, that it was all right to make silly faces through the classroom door window even when you were in high school, and that when life was not going right, nothing feels better than a game of “incredibly violent indoor ball tag”. Always funny, usually inappropriate, and never ordinary, Mr. B reflects the best in life. He lives by example. His actions demonstrate compassion and acceptance, humor and creativity, and most of all, love for life. To me, he was a friend, father, and hero. Mr. B has helped me to live my life in a way I like, and love every moment of it.

McCage Grffiths

22 comments:

  1. Could you please define "not-so-gay"? Is your son gay, or not gay or somewhere in between? Plus, is he your adopted son? Says you are not his bio dad. Do you ever think that some of the readers of this fairly funny blog might not know every damn intimate detail of your life?

    That said, your son is brilliant. Maybe you could take a few weeks off and let this son of your and the other wordy guest blogger take over. That would make my work day a little brighter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, this essay answers a lot of questions about you. Plus, you might be my hero. Sorry to hear about the accident. Get/stay better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agree with previous. Brilliant writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fuck this verbose and smart blogger. I want to be a guest blogger. How about a contest or something? If I email you a post, will you use it? Way to complicated, how does one get to be a guest blogger?

    Oh, and Houdini? I think I love him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I get to work and find all this writing. How do you manage? I can't even get a coffee and you have two chapters of a pretty interesting book going.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, agree with previous. Post these in the morning (EST) so I can read them all at lunch. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your not so gay son captured your perfectly. I love him. You? Not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was posted this morning and already it is listed in the favorites. You might want to see if your son will write more posts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great college essay. I did not know you had brain damage, although that answers a lot of question.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am having gender confusion, is this your not-so-gay son? Is he really a he? Something suggests otherwise.
    Either way, great writing for a youngster.

    ReplyDelete
  11. McCage, у вас есть серьезные талант. Я надеюсь, что вы больше писать, у вас есть оживился мой день.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What the fuck with the made up language? Someone must be bored in the cubicle.
    I just wanted to say that gay or not, I like the way this kid of yours writes. If you want people to donate money to read this blog, you might want to sign your kids up and you can go away.

    ReplyDelete
  13. If I donate something to the button on the right side, can you get your not so gay son to write some more?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Does the brain damage explain the inability to spell?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey, just grabbed coffee on CapHill, checked the site for something new and NOTHING. Major let down. Get on it, otherwise, I have to be responsible for my own entertainment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Like some others, waiting for my Saturday fix, why no posts? Heck, if you need a guest poster, I'd volunteer.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It appears to me that you were both lucky to have one another.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gay post, gay writer, gay blog. Gay, gay, gay.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like this story, is it real? This entire blog seems to glide between truth and fiction on an hourly basis. In fact, how do we know this was written by a guest?

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't know why, but I really love this essay.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am going around reading some of the posts on this blog, and this is just a brilliant piece of writing.I mean, in part it is inspiring, then a damaged man remains vibrant, which is even better. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Psychotic you say? I could not agree more. :)

    ReplyDelete