Wednesday, April 20, 2011

None

I was walking briskly through the city this morning, delivering a package and searching for a muffin, which is not a metaphor for anything. So, there I was, waiting for a light to turn green on a busy city street and up ahead of me, on the opposite block I see a fast walking woman in a black dress. I thank to myself, hello fast walking woman, I will soon pass you.

There you have insight into my competitive nature. Inside my head I am competing all the time, whether with myself and some goal I set or, like the woman in the black dress, an innocent person doing the same thing I am doing, but I must will myself to catch and pass.

In fact, a few years ago when I had the time to ride a cycle seriously, I would spot a fellow cyclist somewhere ahead of me and make it my goal to catch and release. That is what I called it, first catch them, pass them and forget them. There was nothing they were aware of, all I was to them was a sweaty guy riding past. It is traditional to say "left" as you pass a cyclist, let them know you are there or something, but not for me. I liked to overtake them stealthily, just pump my legs hard in a low hear and pass them without so much as a word.

Once or twice I was scolded for shocking them, but once or twice I was also trailed by the person I passed, they falling in behind me, letting me lead the way and they could get a good workout that way. Not to worry, people passed me too, although as I got stronger and healthier that happened less and less, but when I was passed I too would pick up my pace and ride with them.

There is always a superior athlete, that is just the way the world works. At some point, back in those days of daily long hard rides, there was a kid who was training for some sort of professional career as a cyclist. Some mornings I would see him far ahead of me and set catching and passing him as my goal. I may have been able to catch him once or twice, but that was either because he was just doing a relaxed ride, or he was on the phone or something. He was an animal on a cycle, no pain and all endurance. It was a good goal to try and catch him and sometimes he would let me ride with him, I think, just to let me know who was king of the cycle.

This morning, waiting for that light to turn green, I kept my eye on the woman in the black dress. She was moving quickly, but I knew, given a green light and a parting of the people crowding the street, I could catch her within a block.

The light flickered green and I stepped off the curb with power. My strides quickly accelerating and I was on a fast pace. People in this city seem to dawdle and walk slowly, not sure why. I weaved and moved between slow moving pedestrians and spotted the woman in the black dress, now a city block ahead and pulling away. Because I had to walk the length of the city, I figured either I would catch her within a couple of blocks or she might even get to her destination before I had a chance.

Then she got held up by a red light. I saw it change and I noticed her slowing. I would not catch her with my speed, but with the stupid traffic signals. Either way, I saw my opportunity, pushed myself into a faster walking gear and sped up to catch and release mode. If I planned this right, just as the light was changing I would be by her side, in step and moving away. It was going to be a perfect moment.

But the light held. I slowed and it was still red and there was now gridlock blocking the crosswalk. I sauntered up to the fast walking woman in the black dress. I stood next to her for a second, turning my head, taking her in. She was older, much older, pasty white skin and wrinkles upon wrinkles. She looked forward for a bit, then she turned her head to catch my gaze. She had crystal clear blue eyes that seemed to smile. I acknowledged the sly look in her eyes and said "good morning sister." She smiled a bit, nodded and said good morning to me, the light turned and she was off.

She was going to beat me through the traffic and onto the sidewalk, disappearing into a crowd of people. I was slowed by a car in the crosswalk. She had sized me up and took off like a firecracker. A nun with endurance. I admired her as I saw her weaving fast through the crowds. Someday I hope to be old, wrinkled, pasty white and kicking ass as I compete on my own level, in my own head with people who may not may not even know it.

8 comments:

  1. Welcome back. Two depressing days, I almost unbookmarked you.

    Kicking Nun ass since 2012. Oh wait, you lost the race.

    ReplyDelete
  2. La leçon est, ne plaisante pas avec un mouvement rapide religieuse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why could it not be a super hot chick speed walking in front of you? Totally ruined it for me that you had to catch a nun. What is wrong with you?
    Good story though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Swing and a miss.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It must be hell to be competitive about everything. For gods sake, you tried to catch a nun. Slow down and enjoy the day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nuns have nothing to speed around a city for, thus, I am falling this entire post, FAKE.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "To Catch a Nun" tonight on NBC.

    It takes a big man to chase down an elderly nun. Your mom must be so proud.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Hey honey, I'm home. What's that? What did I do today? Oh, I ran down a nun in center city. No, that's right, a nun. An old nun, she was old. Yeah, I did. What? You want a divorce? Why? Oh, because the highlight of my day was chasing a nun. Gotcha."

    ReplyDelete