Wednesday, March 2, 2011

The ceiling is moving

This afternoon, while on the phone with a friend, I looked up. I was standing in the lobby of a grand old hotel in downtown and as I studied the ornate ceiling, all of a sudden is began to weave and bubble.

Normally I find hallucinations disturbing and unwanted. This was not such a bad one and I just went with it. The last time I was in this same circumstance I saw seasons change in front of my eyes while looking out the window of a Seattle coffee shop. Almost immediately my friend was standing next to me and helped me to the restroom, which was the women's restroom, but for what was about to happen, it did not matter. I began violently throwing up. No direction, no control.

After a few minutes I left the room, my friend standing guard outside, he looked at me, said something and I turned and ran back inside. Again, I thought I was empty, but was shocked at what a stomach on empty can manufacture.

He drove me home that night. It was an amazing bonding experience. A childhood friend, almost accidentally visiting, and helping me in a true time of need.

Today, with the ceiling bending and gyrating, I had no sense I was going to throw up, so I enjoyed the show.

2 comments: