Saturday, March 5, 2011

To dance

It seems like a long time, but it was really less than 30 years ago. I was living in New York, upper west side, and amazing and strange things happened all the time, none more than the night I bumped into an Alvin Ailey dancer on my way home and we ended up together for a few months. When I say together, I mean one of those magical moments in life, where the rest of world continues to spin out of control, but everything in our lives was just about perfect.

I never speak of that time, mostly because it is one of the few times filled with love and grace and perfection. Even now, thinking of it brings a big smile to my face. We could jog from Columbia to Wall Street and back, go dancing, have a late dinner and spend the night together and in the morning, we would do much the same. Frenetic energy, brilliant mind and a dancers body in the finest of tone made our moments together memorable and impossible to replicate.

Why do I bring this up here? Because if you are patient and watch this clip, you can see why dancers, like other artists, can take a moment and make it sing. Sure, you may not understand a single word any of these people say, but when the dancer dances, nothing else matters.

2 comments:

  1. You have to wait till the actual dancing, but damn, that is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete