Monday, March 7, 2011

The important message

Surprisingly I woke up to a text from an old friend this morning. The Voodoo King (VK) has been an important and mysterious part of my life for a few years. We met on a train leaving New York City one day, spending the 4 hours talking about important things and unimportant things. When it was time to go I left the VK with my cell number and since then, we communicate, we meet, we talk, we eat good food.

Then I moved and the meetings and the talking and most everything else went silent. Last year I did a week long job in Scranton and the VK came and met with me. We spent three evenings in the indoor pool at the hotel, talking and debating the future.


"Even a little evil in you heart will be visible on your face."

That was this mornings text. The Voodoo King does not waste words.

Happenstance, yesterday I was going through some old stuff in my closet and I came across a college paper, graded A. I sat down and read it. What a terrible style and delivery, boring and incomprehensible. Then again, it served its purpose.

When I got the text from VK I was shocked. This is a person who knows me quite well, not a lot of barriers and misinformation at play in our "relationship". VK used to come to the farm in upstate New York and while I would edit short films, he would chase the sheep, a game the dog seemed to completely enjoy. I could look out the window and see the Voodoo King running after a sheep, and the lesbian dog running after VK, a nice cycle.

The secret with the Voodoo King is there is no ulterior motives at play. He does not warn about evil in a persons heart in the hopes of getting a date, or free rent. VK is honorable that way, opinions, wisdom, is just something to be shared.

"A powerful year must be lived free of hate and dedicated to hope."

That was the second text. I knew I was in trouble. I texted back, we need to meet. The Voodoo King texted back, "my work here is done." At first I thought, that's just mean, and then the next text, "Pittsburgh, next weekend."

The thing about toxic chemicals in your system, combined with injected powerful mind altering headache drugs is that you lose sight of the end of the dream and the beginning of morning.

4 comments:

  1. That was a great story to wake up with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Voodoo King? How did he earn this moniker? How do I apply for a name from you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I may, I have been reading your blog this morning and I have to say, sometimes you write beautiful prose and sometimes you are incredibly lazy. I wish there was a way to know which post was going to follow which direction.
    Keep it up, the characters and the stories are kind of remarkable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do not get this post at all.

    ReplyDelete