Monday, March 28, 2011

Totally stoned

The things you learn about your body at 4AM is always interesting. This morning, very early this morning, I woke up, as I often do. Lately I have been waking up from some sort of drug reaction, generally to "be sick" - get the poison out of my system and go back to bed.

This morning a kidney stone woke me up. I had one of these suckers before and at that time I thought I was dying. The pain is remarkable and when it first happened all I could do was audibly moan, cry out in pain, try and find a comfortable way to lay down and finally make a run to the emergency room.

This morning I knew immediately what was happening. I started drinking water as fast as possible and I have pain medications that I took as often as is legally recommended. What is embarrassing is how small a kidney stone actually is. When I passed my last one, it was about the size of a broken off pencil head, tiny. I am not sure if the one that woke me this morning has "passed" but I will not be in search of it, so I can only estimate that it too will be microscopic.

Is there a message here? Doubtful. These stones have something to do with diet, but could also have something to do with the drug I am currently taking, because when I was moaning in pain this morning, not to be out done, the drug I have been testing on myself almost immediately demanded I kneel down at the toilet and throw up every possible morsel of food available.

I am not big on waking up at 4AM and this sort of experience reinforces that.

No comments:

Post a Comment